GCN - zero MTB content

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
I was reminded that world cups start in a few weeks and how red bull is bye bye, and so I checked out the GCN channel on my samsung smart TV.

First I had to sign up -- $9 per month or $50 for a year. Knowing I'll be watching world cups into October this year, the year pass made sense and so I signed up and checked out the channel.

Now technically there isn't zero mountain content on the channel right now as I put in the thread title. There is a doc about the athertons, something following old dirt editor Steve Jones around England on an eMTB, and a few endurance destination fliks like one with 2 dudes traversing the Gobi desert on fat bikes.

And thats it. Hundreds of hours of road bike content like seemingly every tour of siciliy ever held,, but almost no dirt related content at all. They show how they'll have the DH and XC world cups ahead, but nothing now. No past races, no freeride films, no cool docs.

What a scam. Or at least a shame.

• Sad
Reactions: don

Jmann

Never gonna let you down.
I believe the mtb branch of GCN is actually gmbn, a separate channel.

I subscribe and enjoy their goofy videos and the racing coverage they have for the money. Comparatively Flo sports is a lot more expensive. But generally I only watch road and cross racing, outside of worlds.

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
I believe the mtb branch of GCN is actually gmbn, a separate channel.

I subscribe and enjoy their goofy videos and the racing coverage they have for the money. Comparatively Flo sports is a lot more expensive. But generally I only watch road and cross racing, outside of worlds.
I know, I love the gmbn guys, but the world cups will be on the GCN app, so you'd think they'd get some of their MTB content on the service they're now using for mountain bike racing, right?

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
Did I pay fifty bucks for a bunch of roadie content I'll never watch? Looks like hbo will have discovery sports in their channel.

Screenshot_20230419-135220_Chrome.jpg

serviceguy

I’m still lost in terms of what to go with, I don’t have any of these fancy channels…I have a feeling I may get away from the whole UCI DH scene all together…

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
I’m still lost in terms of what to go with, I don’t have any of these fancy channels…I have a feeling I may get away from the whole UCI DH scene all together…
Don't be crazy. Its just a hoop you have to jump through. Wait a couple weeks and see whats confirmed with hbo max. If discovery sports isn't on there you drop your 50 on GCN and cast your phone to your TV with a $20 chrome cast.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I was reminded that world cups start in a few weeks and how red bull is bye bye, and so I checked out the GCN channel on my samsung smart TV.

First I had to sign up -- $9 per month or $50 for a year. Knowing I'll be watching world cups into October this year, the year pass made sense and so I signed up and checked out the channel.

Now technically there isn't zero mountain content on the channel right now as I put in the thread title. There is a doc about the athertons, something following old dirt editor Steve Jones around England on an eMTB, and a few endurance destination fliks like one with 2 dudes traversing the Gobi desert on fat bikes.

And thats it. Hundreds of hours of road bike content like seemingly every tour of siciliy ever held,, but almost no dirt related content at all. They show how they'll have the DH and XC world cups ahead, but nothing now. No past races, no freeride films, no cool docs.

What a scam. Or at least a shame.
I bought it for the road races two years ago and it’s now a mega plus it has the world cups

Ian F

Links for the live broadcasts of the June 9, 2023 U23 races dropped on the GMBN Racing YouTube channel today.
Women:

Men:

If anyone is interested in XC racing, links for the U23 XC races were also posted earlier today.

ebarker9

Finally signed up for GCN+ to watch the XC this weekend. Apparently in the app "start from beginning" means "join live". Did the same for men's and women's races, looking like it was going to start at the beginning but then jumped to the live broadcast.

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
Finally signed up for GCN+ to watch the XC this weekend. Apparently in the app "start from beginning" means "join live". Did the same for men's and women's races, looking like it was going to start at the beginning but then jumped to the live broadcast.
Lol. I'll be watching the short track tonight. Good races? How were the broadcasters?

ebarker9

Lol. I'll be watching the short track tonight. Good races? How were the broadcasters?

Not sure I've seen a short track race that wasn't exciting. Both were awesome. I thought the broadcasters were good, Bart B is a carryover from last season and Rick M was solid, minus a couple of minor slip ups (think he said something about going up two cogs more on a chainring when he meant two teeth, but pretty sure that was just a heat of the moment thing). Graphics and everything seemed professional. No complaints.

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
Hbo max became max today and was supposed to have the UCI races included. Alas there is nothing. No races or sports of any kind actually. Phase 2 release? Lol

jdgang

Hbo max became max today and was supposed to have the UCI races included. Alas there is nothing. No races or sports of any kind actually. Phase 2 release? Lol
So i thought that Discovery+ would have the UCI MTB races. It took alot of searching, but MTB UCI is only available for Discovery+ in the EU. So I ended up buying GCN+

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
So i thought that Discovery+ would have the UCI MTB races. It took alot of searching, but MTB UCI is only available for Discovery+ in the EU. So I ended up buying GCN+

As did I. Fifty bucks for the year. But if you look above on my post from april 19, reports were the new max app would have the discovery races.

jdgang

As did I. Fifty bucks for the year. But if you look above on my post from april 19, reports were the new max app would have the discovery races.
Since the app is being rolled out internationally that would make sense , but since the contract to broadcast the UCI was signed before any new app. I would say that those rules are still in place.

Ian F

New app? The GCN+ app has been around for a while (previously GCN Race Pass). July 2020, according to a Discovery new release I found. I've had it since the beginning. Changed to GCN+ in 2021. I used it a lot during the pandemic and WFH. I'd watch whatever road or cross race they were streaming on my phone while working at my desk.

Top Bottom