Gas powered bikes?

Captain Brainstorm

Cornering - I feel like I could talk about it for hours. Lately I’ve been keeping the revs up, using an amount of maintenance throttle once committed to my line, and when I see the exit I’m using more throttle when straightening up. No shifting. On my Ninja I had a lot more room with the RPMs, the Interceptor, not so much, but a fun amount of torque.
Corning is one of those things you can talk about in theory, but takes years to get right. On the track it was always a battle of who could brake the latest, maybe trail a little brake into the corner, but then get off the brakes to slam the bike down, because they like stand up on the brakes. Sport bike suspension and geometry is designed to work best under throttle, so getting on the gas and minimizes fore-aft weight shifts in the corner, and was always the way to get the best drive coming out. The second you start chopping throttle the bike tries to run wide.

mfennell

I've always thought of getting one because my old-school cable actuated clutch makes for a sore wrist within 2hrs of a ride.

Do you ever do clutchless upshifts? If there's a downside, I've never encountered it, at least with the few bikes I've owned. Quickshift is better, but only marginally so. Might get you to 4 hours. :)

Quick lunch ride on the 848 yesterday with new tires. I haven't install MC tires in ages but these went on really nicely. They were shipped in a box and I threw a hair dryer in there on low with them for a bit. Super pliable. Hardly took any weight too. 1/4oz and 1/2oz F/R.

848-spring-time.jpg

Tires, oil, coolant, belts, check valves, front brake pads, flipped the shifter, round-filed the EVAP canister, and put some insulation under the seat because the PO warned me that running with the cats will burn my @ss (which I don't fully understand as they're behind the seat but it was easy to do). Nothing has fallen off or caught fire yet.

Oh, found a practice spot and got a knee down on the Husky a bunch of times. First time in 25ish years. Now I can be seen in public with the rear tire on that bike. :)

michvin

I've always thought of getting one because my old-school cable actuated clutch makes for a sore wrist within 2hrs of a ride. As far as mid-corner shifting, there is no mid-corner shifting for me. Mid-corner I'm rolling on the throttle to settle the suspension and drive out of the corner.
You still have to use clutch to come to a stop, take off and stay in a friction zone. Quickshifter is just a more convenient way to up- or downshift clutchlessly. That's the ideal way to go around the corner, but not always possible, unfortunately.

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
If anyone is out and about tomorrow I’ll be heading over to the PA side of Washington’s Crossing to ride over to the annual classic Norton meet. I’ll be there around 11. I think it goes to 1. If you head over say hi. I might grab lunch after in New Hope. All bikes are welcome but the Norton’s are the highlight.

michvin

If anyone is out and about tomorrow I’ll be heading over to the PA side of Washington’s Crossing to ride over to the annual classic Norton meet. I’ll be there around 11. I think it goes to 1. If you head over say hi. I might grab lunch after in New Hope. All bikes are welcome but the Norton’s are the highlight.
Some of my friends go there. Me and other dude go to explore an off-road area tomorrow am.

mfennell

Just about to head out to meet my friends. Look for my blue/white Husky 701. I assume I'll be with a couple Nortons (which narrows it right down!).

clarkenstein

JORBA.ORG
Just about to head out to meet my friends. Look for my blue/white Husky 701. I assume I'll be with a couple Nortons (which narrows it right down!).
Right on - I’ll be on a Royal Enfield - white and red tank. If I’m walking around - tall dude, grey beard, kawasaki hat.

clarkenstein

JORBA.ORG
I think I saw you when I was taking off. Quite the crowd! Highlight for me was seeing a Vincent in the flesh. Lots of bikes to look at. Two Triumph Hurricanes too… which looked like they would sound amazing with the triple exhaust, but unfortunately the sound was more of a lawnmower fart.

35DC652B-38E5-49E6-887F-6A4BC0DC5D69.jpeg51523D8A-60CE-4CF7-B3AA-CF091D734444.jpeg2DC2CAEA-16BD-4AA9-8B2E-896BAEF3E7CD.jpeg080163E2-56B8-4BAA-B4F4-9DF31224F7A9.jpeg

mfennell

Right on - I’ll be on a Royal Enfield - white and red tank. If I’m walking around - tall dude, grey beard, kawasaki hat.
Sorry I missed this/you. Pretty cool show. Lots of interesting stuff. NS400R! I've never seen one in person.
I think I saw you when I was taking off. Quite the crowd! Highlight for me was seeing a Vincent in the flesh. Lots of bikes to look at. Two Triumph Hurricanes too… which looked like they would sound amazing with the triple exhaust, but unfortunately the sound was more of a lawnmower fart.

View attachment 183509View attachment 183511

That's my buddy John with the Hurricane. I was around the corner where the support vehicle had gas for the other guys. The Vincent and the ancient Norton came in with a guy who lives around the corner from me. He's a well-known Vincent restorer. I've been wanting to meet him for years.

The ride home was cooooold. Waved down and chatted with friend of mine (also shopping for a bike) who was out on a bicycle ride. Shorts and short sleeves. He was sweating. I was shivering!

Pre-ride pic. The bike on the right had an oil leak (the puddle in the pic is gasoline tho). Little drops of oil all over the front of my bike. It also ejected its battery cover on 295. Everything made it back though, which I heard is not always the case. The support vehicle had a ramp too. :)

norton_ride.jpg

clarkenstein

JORBA.ORG
Sorry I missed this/you. Pretty cool show. Lots of interesting stuff. NS400R! I've never seen one in person.

That's my buddy John with the Hurricane. I was around the corner where the support vehicle had gas for the other guys. The Vincent and the ancient Norton came in with a guy who lives around the corner from me. He's a well-known Vincent restorer. I've been wanting to meet him for years.

The ride home was cooooold. Waved down and chatted with friend of mine (also shopping for a bike) who was out on a bicycle ride. Shorts and short sleeves. He was sweating. I was shivering!

Pre-ride pic. The bike on the right had an oil leak (the puddle in the pic is gasoline tho). Little drops of oil all over the front of my bike. It also ejected its battery cover on 295. Everything made it back though, which I heard is not always the case. The support vehicle had a ramp too. :)

View attachment 183519
Some of the bikes had oil pans underneath them, which is to be expected but still kinda funny.

That’s awesome you know that guy. How do they find parts? There was a little Puch I had never seen before and all I could think was where do they find parts? Do they get them custom?

mfennell

That’s awesome you know that guy. How do they find parts? There was a little Puch I had never seen before and all I could think was where do they find parts? Do they get them custom?

I have no idea. Honestly, until we pulled up and someone made a comment about how unusual it was to see TWO of them together, I just thought it was a cool orange Triumph. I know a bit about bikes from the early 80s to early 90s so I was loving the Turbo bikes, the VF1000Rs, the early VFR, etc. I had really hoped someone would have a 250 2 stroke (TZR, RGV, NSR) to drool over. The VFR400 (NC30?) sufficed.

jklett

Ran out of paint and had problems with the sprayer so it's a 20' finish but I'm totally stoked with the end result. I may strip the paint and try again come winter but I'm just going to enjoy her until then. It's funny, I swear she's faster all prettied up!20220515_162429.jpg20220515_162436.jpg20220515_162447.jpg

Over the Bars

You
Ran out of paint and had problems with the sprayer so it's a 20' finish but I'm totally stoked with the end result. I may strip the paint and try again come winter but I'm just going to enjoy her until then. It's funny, I swear she's faster all prettied up!View attachment 184818View attachment 184819View attachment 184820
You got skillz man good luck with her she looks awesome!!! I showed my wife and she is equally impressed and loves the new color !

Top Bottom