Gas Line Right of Way

tommyjay

Not-So-Venerable Asshat
Got a question for y'all which risks exposing me for the out of shape bag of snacks that I am:

I'm trying to build leg strength and climbing endurance by riding up the gas line at Sourlands (on a 32 x 20 SS). So, I start from the orange gate at the bottom and head up to near the summit (just passed the stream that is piped across - but before the 2nd gate).

Can people typically ride this in one shot in the middle ring? I know I can't right now - typically stop 3 or so times on the way up catch my breath and duct tape up a few aneurysms.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Yes, the last two time I rode sourlands, I climbed the pipeline first. The first time I did have a small ring, but didnt feel the need to bump down to it, so I was at a 32 x 34. The second time I was running a 1 x 9 and was also bottomed out to get the same ration of 32 x 34. I think the first steep grade is the hardest and even though the steep grade at before the first plateau is longer, it seemed more doable.

Good luck!

BTW, climbs the singletrack is much more fun!

bighit

i used to do it but found out that i blow up doing it. i go to the left and work my way up staying left all the way up. i crossover and head to boulderrama and down i go.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions