Garrett Mountain Any Good For After Work Ride?

stilluf

I recently started working in Paramus. With the earlier sunsets, evening riding opportunities at Lew Mo and Chimney are becoming more limited. So I started looking for a nearby park for a quick after work ride. Garrett Mountain is close by. Understanding that it's a bit of an urban park, I'm wondering if it's worth it? If not, any suggestions? I live in Westfield, so southbound is preferred. Thanks!

dmkalemba

Not sure about Garret Mt, but a number of people here ride at High Mountain Park in Wayne (by William Patterson)... depending where in Paramus you are, shouldn't be that far..

kidzach

I would second Dave's Recommendation of High Mountain over Garret mtn. Or maybe Tourne is closer. I've also been told of some type of trails in Alpine somewhere, but never been. Maybe another rider can shed some light on those trails.

Danimal

I would second Dave's Recommendation of High Mountain over Garret mtn. Or maybe Tourne is closer. I've also been told of some type of trails in Alpine somewhere, but never been. Maybe another rider can shed some light on those trails.
The trails in alpine by the boyscout camp are cool but its a 20 min drive from paramus and it's in the opposite direction of westfield. I'd say high mountain or hilltop/mills which is in verona would be the better bet

liong71er

No biking in the trails at Garret Mountain.

Your best choice is High Mountain in Wayne,i live about 10miles from there and I rode from my Apt to that trails, very nice trails lots of unmarked singletrack trails.

kidzach

The trails in alpine by the boyscout camp are cool but its a 20 min drive from paramus and it's in the opposite direction of westfield. I'd say high mountain or hilltop/mills which is in verona would be the better bet
Is Mills also referred to as Hilltop? Anyway, mtbiking is not legal at Mills as with ALL parks in our overtaxed county. I'm not saying I've never biked there, but it is always crawling with dog walkers and such. People always seem friendly when there but you never know.

Delish

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Garret has a parks crew that makes regular rounds to enforce rules. Mills is different than Hilltop but they are close. High mountain is your best bet. That or perhaps Ringwod

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
The people have spoken ! High Mtn it is. Thanks all.

Get a tour, put a GPX file on your Garmin, or try and use Maprika to find the good trails. Otherwise you might go there and just ride the red and yellow trails and think it sucks. If you spend more than a few minutes on a marked trail on a two hour ride, you did it wrong.

Zaskar

Get a tour, put a GPX file on your Garmin, or try and use Maprika to find the good trails. Otherwise you might go there and just ride the red and yellow trails and think it sucks. If you spend more than a few minutes on a marked trail on a two hour ride, you did it wrong.

I've had much success using Maprika at HM. Its a very detailed map and gives you more then enough to start with to make your way around the goods.

wlee

High Mountain, we do most thursday nights. Sometimes we hit Mills if my buddies cry and dont want to climb as much.

Top Bottom