GARMIN

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
Garmin now "owns" ANT+, and while they claim it will remain an open standard, other companies are going away from it (to punish garmin?)

with the advent of BTLE, the battery life of a BT peripheral is much longer.

it seems a bit more stable, at least with the sensors, than some of the old BT stuff (like A2DP)

not sure where the industry will go -

1. Phone as a hub with the gps, recording, routing with a remote display?

2. head unit that uses the phone/computer for certain functions

3. head unit that is part of the connected-things and is "unto itself" - its own cellular/wifi connectivity.

For a remote display:

i have a hammerhead on order - it is supposed to do more than just navigation when they are done - including the addition of a barometric altimeter bt sensor. (ie, use lights to indicate approx cadence or speed) - it is pre-production, so who knows if it will ever happen.

Cool! Looking forward to your thoughts when it comes in....

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to follow the link and look at the thing.

Last edited:

RobW

Garmin now "owns" ANT+, and while they claim it will remain an open standard, other companies are going away from it (to punish garmin?)

with the advent of BTLE, the battery life of a BT peripheral is much longer.

it seems a bit more stable, at least with the sensors, than some of the old BT stuff (like A2DP)

not sure where the industry will go -

1. Phone as a hub with the gps, recording, routing with a remote display?

2. head unit that uses the phone/computer for certain functions

3. head unit that is part of the connected-things and is "unto itself" - its own cellular/wifi connectivity.

For a remote display:

i have a hammerhead on order - it is supposed to do more than just navigation when they are done - including the addition of a barometric altimeter bt sensor. (ie, use lights to indicate approx cadence or speed) - it is pre-production, so who knows if it will ever happen.

Looking into hammerhead! Thanks for the input pat

Top Bottom