Garmin VIRB Elite???

rmap01

Anyone have an opportunity to test one of these out? Interested to hear how it performs for MTB , particularly in comparison to the GoPro Black.

Matt_

I Get Jokes
I was just about to ask the same question and found this year old thread with no replies...

anyone ever test one out? I'm looking for a decent camera to hook on my helmet so I can get some video of my son this coming spring. I'm probably going to get a Garmin forerunner watch as well and like the remote capabilities with the Virb Elite..

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
We've tested them out at the shop. For the money you're much better off with a GoPro.

-Jim.

Matt_

I Get Jokes
What didnt you like about it?

I know in general the GoPro is a better "camera" .... but Im not a pro at anything so I dont care about super high speed video or all day battery life. I want something I can attach to my helmet to record some video of my son for our rides which wont last much more than an hour. I think GoPro might be overkill, looks bulky on helmets and I like the remote ability of the virb for start/stop. From your testing of the virb elite, any reason it wouldn't work well for that purpose or why the GoPro would be notably better?

Steve Vai

The GoPro is just a lot easier to use. Plus, with the GoPro App on your phone you can adjust the settings, power, watch and delete clips, and preview what you're about to shoot. And the camera itself is much smaller and lighter so it doesn't feel weird mounted and doesn't shake around...

-Jim.

Matt_

I Get Jokes
Hmmm... which GoPro do you recommend? I'll have to go play with them, I was under the impression that the Virb was less bulky

Edit: looks like the Hero4 is the only one with bluetooth so I guess that answers my question.

Last edited:

Steve Vai

The 4 is new and awesome. The Black has a touchscreen and no longeer needs the phone. I have a 3+ Black. They use Wifi to connect to the phone App.

PS-My 3+ black is fo' sale because I want a 4. Buy mine.

Matt_

I Get Jokes
Soooo I bet none of the above was bias at all eh? Lol

Gonna go check a few out while im on vacation next week. Son won't be hittin the trails until Spring so I have some time. If I decide to go with gopro ill hit you up to see if you still have it... I think the 4 is going to be out of my price range and waaaay overkill.

rmap01

Glad to see some discussion on the topic. FWIW, my wife got me the GoPro 3 last Christmas. Got some great vids with the kids last winter while skiing. Would be great to have when I get my son on the trails with me.

Top Bottom