Garmin Edge Battery Running Out

C

Cthulhu

Hey norm, I am thinking of getting one.... any comparable alternatives? What was the outcome of the last call (are they fixing your original one or just sending a replacement)?

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Since the last one appears to have gone into the Great Garmin Cemetary in the Sky, it would appear that they have commited to sending me a brand new (probably refurbished but I don't care just so long as it works) unit.

I really don't know what the alternatives are. I really like (liked?) it but this has been a headache. I'm to the point now where I wonder if I should be happy with the memories and leave it at that.

J-Dro

Why don't you just take the ForeRunner with you on vacation? It's pretty much the same as the Edge, but in a different package, right? Then you can send it back to Garmin when you get home.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I don't want to open it and then screw up the exchange, and I'd rather have the 205 for when I get back. Also, the forecast is for 7 straight days of rain in Taiwan right now so I'll just be over there getting fast anyway. I could just put it on my stomach and log how fast it expands?

tonyride

Don't piss off the red guy
My philosophy has alwasy been the best customer service is one you never have to use. I've had issues with my Niterider Digital 12 lights. I've deal with their customer service a few times and they were great. They even sent me a new battery but the problem never went away. So what I paid for is great customer service but inferior product. So in that respect I can understand where you're coming from.

de00304

no real issues to speak of...

for what its worth, my edge 305 has worked fine for about 2 years now. I do have to reset it now and then (particularly if I plug it into the car charger - some reason it occasionally locks up when i do that), but that is a relatively rare occurrence. Otherwise works without issue.

fyi, was over in europe recently and saw an add in a bike magazine over there for a new edge model with color display...

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Those are the 605s and 705s I believe. Too lazy to find link so I'm not sure.

mike_243

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
I have had two lockup issues on mine but they talked me through the reset with no problem.
other than that no other problems but of course all companies will get a some junk through QC maybe you just got one of those units...it happens as long as they make it right all is good and it sounds like they are trying to do that.
of course these are my rambling thoughs on a saterday morning after being up since 2:30 sopping up water in the basment so what do I know.....
going roading on suday.....:)

ryderX

well, we're gonna have to agree to disagree then.;) i still think that's no reason to come online and slam the product and company like that. mainly because i'm 100% sure your opinion will be almost completely different 1 week after the problem is resolved.

stuff doesn't break/malfunction nearly that often for me. in fact, the only products i've had malfunction in quite some time have been the garmin, which i attribute to user error for charging it with the energi-2-go, and my bontrager cranks, which are now working fine after the application of some loc-tite.

+1 :D

mike_243

JORBA.ORG
No I am a realist....don't know bout the other guy..I did however call one of daughters boyfriends a commie-pinko the first time I met him do the the fact the he didn't drink coffee..:)
I know I can be direct..:) it was funny

ArmyOfNone

Since Norm "insisted" we reference garmin in this thread. I dropped mine on the other day and it seems not to be shutting off on rides lately (now watch). Still no luck on the mode button, but i will send it in after sundays race.

I will agree with the fact it does suck that we have had these things for not very long and the all have stb. But i cant ride w/o it! Pretty Fing sad

mike_243

JORBA.ORG
it is amazing how useful I find this thing when I got it for X-mas I was pretty much " you guys spent a boatload of cash on this and I won't get much out of it"
but now like you I need it.....I think Norm did make out alright with their support/return department after some pain and silly phone stuff but I think all in all they stood behind their product.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I think Norm did make out alright with their support/return department after some pain and silly phone stuff but I think all in all they stood behind their product.

They did stand behind their product, ultimately. I got a unit and it works. So I got that going for me, which is nice. I haven't bothered plugging it into a PC yet though, because I've lost desire to upload/download data. I'm not convinced it won't happen again, in some way/shape/form. And I guess it goes without saying that I don't think I would trust it to ride somewhere I wasn't sure I could get out of myself, like taking an Allamuchy loop blind, for instance.

Nimrod

They did stand behind their product, ultimately. I got a unit and it works. So I got that going for me, which is nice. I haven't bothered plugging it into a PC yet though, because I've lost desire to upload/download data. I'm not convinced it won't happen again, in some way/shape/form. And I guess it goes without saying that I don't think I would trust it to ride somewhere I wasn't sure I could get out of myself, like taking an Allamuchy loop blind, for instance.

Hopefully you enjoy the heck out of it for your next 29 rides:rofl:

Disclaimer: Bought Garmin stock at $60 a share. Watched it zoom to $120, then drop like Norms battery. Sold at $100, currently trading at 46 and change

Last edited:

anrothar

entirely thrilled
i haven't used mine in a while. i originally wanted it so that i could map out my rides, then became mildly addicted to all the zigzags. now i generally only bother to mount it up if there's a chance that i might ride a trail or two that i haven't been on before. so, i've reverted back to my original intention with it. if only it had better mapping functions.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
if only it had better mapping functions.

I thought it would be really useful in the woods and a neat (but useless) toy on the road. It really turned out to be much more useful for long road rides. If I want to go on a 50+ mile ride I can map it out on bikeroutetoaster.com and upload it to the GPS. That worked really well when I used it for that.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
i lut like building up my empire of trails on google earth. i have all the trails i've ridden since i got it mapped out on there. there's still alot i haven't ridden yet that i want to, but i don't get as excited about it anymore because i can't see the trails through the friggen leaves on GE now....

Top Bottom