Garmin 800 not connecting to computer

SpartaBard

Any ideas here?

When I connect my 800 to my computer via the usb cable it turns on and powers up but does not connect to my computer. It appears that the cable is powering the gps unit but the computer does not recognize it.

soulchild

Happened a lot during wet or sloppy rides. Next time just leave the port open and it will dry by the next day.

capedoc

Team MTBNJ Halter's
ugh this used to happen to me all the time. I just chalked it up to corrosion on the port. Plugging in and unplugging 100 times usually did the trick.

thanks for the wd40 tip!

vanseggern1

I had similar issues with my 500. The WD-40 worked at first but then eventually stopped working again so I traded in for the 510* with Bluetooth as I had similar issues with the replacement 500 that Garmin sent. Hopefully you have better luck.

*The 500 has has an $89 trade-in value, so I am thinking the 800 would fetch more if you ever went that route. I even complained enough about the 500 not connecting that they gave me an extra $20 credit.

Last edited:

SpartaBard

The other change I made to make this less of an issue in the future is I switched the unit to write new files to the microflash card instead of internal memory. So if it happens again I can just take the flash card out and stick it into the computer.

Top Bottom