Garmin 705

de00304

I can't get the Garmin/Motionbased stuff to work on my MAC...any suggestions?

P.S. I used the 705 in a 12 hour race, it lasted for 8 and a 1/2 on full brightness which I needed because of the sun.

For the MAC, take a look at ASCENT - it is a really good activity tracker program, IMHO waaaay better than Garmin Training Center

http://www.montebellosoftware.com/index.html

Oooo...I like the Player mode of Garmin Connect.

http://connect.garmin.com/player/1687413

Much improved over MotionBased. One of my beefs with MotionBased is that you can not tell which direction the route was ridden. Also being able to click on the map or profile and see the corresponding point in the other is a great addition.

One feature that I think is important that is lost when moving from Motionbased to Garmin Connect is you can't export anything from the GC web site. I use this feature a lot on Motionbased when I go to a new area - I find someone else's tracks that look like a reasonable ride and download the course and use it as a navigation aid in the new area. I also sometimes like to look at my tracks in Google Earth, which is easy to do from Motionbased, but not available in GC. I emailed Garmin about it, and they replied:

"Thanks for contacting Garmin Connect.

Unfortunately the export feature is not yet available (even for us). We will release this feature in the next few months, so you will eventually be able to export to other programs.

Garmin Connect does not yet offer Google Earth export. We will be incorporating the use of Google Maps and Google Earth with a release in the near future."

Given the delays in development time for GC, a "few months" may be significantly longer than that...

RacerChick

Hudson Valley Girl
Yippie!

Finally I'm picking up the Garmin 705 today! Thanks to all who have posted. Hopefully now I won't be wandering lost in the woods.

RC ... :p

de00304

Export is in current release of GC

For the MAC, take a look at ASCENT - it is a really good activity tracker program, IMHO waaaay better than Garmin Training Center

http://www.montebellosoftware.com/index.html

One feature that I think is important that is lost when moving from Motionbased to Garmin Connect is you can't export anything from the GC web site. I use this feature a lot on Motionbased when I go to a new area - I find someone else's tracks that look like a reasonable ride and download the course and use it as a navigation aid in the new area. I also sometimes like to look at my tracks in Google Earth, which is easy to do from Motionbased, but not available in GC. I emailed Garmin about it, and they replied:

"Thanks for contacting Garmin Connect.

Unfortunately the export feature is not yet available (even for us). We will release this feature in the next few months, so you will eventually be able to export to other programs.

Garmin Connect does not yet offer Google Earth export. We will be incorporating the use of Google Maps and Google Earth with a release in the near future."

Given the delays in development time for GC, a "few months" may be significantly longer than that...

Looks like this feature is now available - see this link...

http://connect.garmin.com/help/whatsnew

Deezul

How is the visibility with sunglasses on? For my garmin car GPS I can't see the screen unless it is angled correctly to me, and at most angles is totally black. The car one is touchscreen so that may be the difference.

Deezul

Ah yes, mine are.

Additionally, how good are the base maps? As in, will it be good enough to navigate around side streets or is it worth it to order the extra street map pack right off the bat

gtluke

The Moped
The base map is unusable, it only has numbered highways. I you are crafty with the internet, you can "obtain" the maps you need.

Also Garmin released a firmware update for the 705 this week, so far it's much better.
Beware 705 owners, this patch deletes your history so save it if you want to keep it.

steverod23

My Edge 305 died today. It is perpetually on "Acquiring Satellites" despite firmware updates and hard reset. I got hooked with all that data and now find it hard to ride without one.

Where did you guys get your 705s ? I can find them on the net for about $350 NIB and another $95 for Topo USA. I just hate to take a risk with merchants I have never dealt with before.

It's not even uploading a map of that park - its the bread crumb mapping that lets you know how to get back!

But even the Edge 205 leaves breadcrumbs.... Is the 705 worth the extra $200+, especially if you're not taking advantage of uploading maps ahead of time?

Isn't having a preloaded, detailed map of your ride (before the ride) what it's all about?

(Hey, I'll gladly trade you my 205....)

BB

Deezul

I just recently got this as a birthday present. The 705 has a barometric altimeter. While I was riding the D&R Canal, it showed a gain in elevation of 30 feet, and then no drop when I looped back around to the start. During my ride, however, it began to rain, which would indicate a low pressure system moving in. Has anyone else had a similar experience and know of a way to correct to it?

BShow

SO how is the compatibilty with a powertap? I'm looking for a powertap system, but dont want to spend the cash for the Cyclops head unit if I can get a 705 to do the same thing. Anybody have any experience with this?

Bleeder

JORBA:President
Barometric Altitude vs GPS

I just recently got this as a birthday present. The 705 has a barometric altimeter. While I was riding the D&R Canal, it showed a gain in elevation of 30 feet, and then no drop when I looped back around to the start. During my ride, however, it began to rain, which would indicate a low pressure system moving in. Has anyone else had a similar experience and know of a way to correct to it?

Barometric will always be affected by the weather. Use the GPS 3D mode for Altitude.

ebarker9

I'm looking at one of these, probably going to get the base model and then buy the cadence/speed sensor separately (for some reason this is significantly cheaper than buying the bundle).

A couple of questions:

-I need the actual Garmin City Navigator maps to do turn-by-turn directions or are there free alternatives? I have seen the free topo maps which look really nice, but not 100% certain about streets/directions.
-Is there a limit on the micro SD card size? They're all pretty much the same price now between 2GB, 4GB, 8GB etc.

Thanks!

gtluke

The Moped
You'll need the city maps to do accurate turn by turn on the fly. The garmin topo maps do it too I think, but not as accurat. It doest know one ways and off ramps and such.
I think the new update allows larger than 2gb cards now. Not sure if 8 but I think 4 works.

Dirt

-I need the actual Garmin City Navigator maps to do turn-by-turn directions or are there free alternatives?

You can buy mine if interested. I've never used it and likely never will. I use my 705 only for offroad activities like mtb and hiking.

PM me if interested.

Top Bottom