Garmin 500 tip

Maurice

Lately every ride I did with the Garmin I missed the first mile or 2 because the thing wouldn't start recording distance right away. Recorded time just fine though. I suspected it was starting to get full and having trouble writing to new files.

Sure enough, backing up all the files in Garmin/Activities and cleaning up that directory made it much quicker on the uptake. Not sure if satellite lock is affected by this, but now I feel faster because I cover more distance in the same time.

Might also apply to other garmins, 800?

And don't forget to charge the thing regularly, I ran out of battery so many times...

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
On the 705, upload to Garmin Connect, Strava is much faster with an empty history directory. Haven't noticed difference with anything else though.

I just keep mine plugged into my extra computer for charging and uploading.

Dr Superb

I was wondering why uploading to Strava and Garmin Connect was taking FOREVER! I am going to look into emptying these directories.

743power

Shop: Bicycle Pro
Shop Keep
Maurice, do you have the latest firmware on it? There was a bug on them at first that kept the "deletefiles" folder full, even after you removed the files from your device. You used to have to manually empty that.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I have had a similar issue and it would do it for a week and then not do it for a long time. Last time mine did it was this past winter. Could not figure out a reason and would usually loose only about a half mile.

I have also noticed the history problem but deleting all twice in a row seems to work.

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
You probably dont want to keep it plugged in after its charged 100%, this kind of thing typically kills rechargeable devices...

I have read that before and try to take it off after a charge, but I have gotten lazy and leave it on. Haven't had any issues, but maybe motivation is needed. I am typically riding 3-4 times a week anyway, so it does come off the computer when it comes off.

Another thing I noticed is that if you are on a Mac, deleting the files from the Finder doesn't actually delete the files. It puts the files in some hidden Trash directory and remains in the Garmin's memory. This drove me crazy for a while since my Saved Rides would just remain there (and crash the device when I try to access them - some kind of bug in the 705 where if the GPX folder is updated with new files and you don't delete the old files, it does really funky things to the device when you try to put it on the map), but when I plugged the unit into a PC, I could see the hidden directory and remove all the files from there. This was the case for GPX files - I would assume it would be the same for your TCX history.

Last edited:

Arwen's Mom

Mother of Dragons, Breaker of Chains
I have read that before and try to take it off after a charge, but I have gotten lazy and leave it on.

For my rechargeable devices I set a timer to remind me to unplug it.

As for "bugs" in garmins....REALLY! I may never get one now :(

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I have read that before and try to take it off after a charge, but I have gotten lazy and leave it on.

I pretty sure that most modern chargeable devices have circuits built in to protect over charging. I generally try not to leave things plugged in longer than they need to be, but it shouldn't matter with most things. I've left my garmin plugged in overnight before many times.

Another thing I noticed is that if you are on a Mac, deleting the files from the Finder doesn't actually delete the files. It puts the files in some hidden Trash directory and remains in the Garmin's memory.

I found this out when I deleted some gpx files off my garmin, and they were still there next time I turned it on. You need to delete them from the unit and then go to finder->empty trash.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
For my rechargeable devices I set a timer to remind me to unplug it.

As for "bugs" in garmins....REALLY! I may never get one now :(

These bug are a reason not to get a garmin....

Recharable batteries and smart chargers have come a long way. The "memory" in batteries is an issue with lead acid, NiMH and NiCAD batteries. Modern batteries do not have the same issues and there is no need to set a timer, especially for the garmins.

Dr Superb

I have read that before and try to take it off after a charge, but I have gotten lazy and leave it on. Haven't had any issues, but maybe motivation is needed. I am typically riding 3-4 times a week anyway, so it does come off the computer when it comes off.

Another thing I noticed is that if you are on a Mac, deleting the files from the Finder doesn't actually delete the files. It puts the files in some hidden Trash directory and remains in the Garmin's memory. This drove me crazy for a while since my Saved Rides would just remain there (and crash the device when I try to access them - some kind of bug in the 705 where if the GPX folder is updated with new files and you don't delete the old files, it does really funky things to the device when you try to put it on the map), but when I plugged the unit into a PC, I could see the hidden directory and remove all the files from there. This was the case for GPX files - I would assume it would be the same for your TCX history.

Yea, you are right on that. I just checked. I emptied my history, and disconnected my garmin. My trash was empty. Plugged garmin back in, trash was now full with those files.

I guess it logically removes them, but doesnt delete until you empty trash.

I think this may be true with everything Mac though, not just Garmin.

Top Bottom