Garden State Parkway......

walter

Fourth Party
between mile markers 100-80, north bound and south bound, the speed limit has been reduced to 55 mph as of March 1. This would include about a 2 mile stretch of road if you are traveling south to get to Allaire. Just wanted to give everyone the heads up.

TonyC

I heard about this. A co-worker of mine travels up from the shore everyday. Said the smokeys are out in full force.
Slow down or go a little slower than the car next to ya.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
interesting, I know a company that did a safety analysis for the DOT and the recommendations didn't include lowering the speed limit...:hmmm:

walter

Fourth Party
interesting, I know a company that did a safety analysis for the DOT and the recommendations didn't include lowering the speed limit...:hmmm:

There was only 1 digital sign around exit 105, and then there were little white stickers on the toll booths, thats it.

Suhr40

Nobody is getting a ticket for 65 in a 55. The road troopers do not receive a cut of the "profits" and are not going to pick on someone going ten over the limit. That being said, there are definately more accidents now than ten years ago when the limit was 55. There are also way more cars on the roads. Anyway, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

kerrybelle

They are also using helicopters. I wasn't sure if I believed this until I saw one hovering over the parkway. Walters' right, the troopers are out in full force!

Frank

Sasquatch
That being said, there are definately more accidents now than ten years ago when the limit was 55. There are also way more cars on the roads.

I would be willing to bet that driver inattention would have something to do with that. Hold on ...I'm getting a call......

Suhr40

absolutely

Everyone "multitasks" in their cars now. That lack of attention is now combined with cars that are faster, smoother, and isolate the driver from feeling the TRUE speed they are moving. The stopping distances increase dramatically with increased speed. We all know this, I just want to point out that the cops on the road are not out to crush kill destroy the average motorist traveling at what would be considered a customary speed. When the limit was 55, most people felt ok doing 65. It was raised to 65 and everyone jacked up their speed another 10-20 over the new limit. The original intent was to take the guess work out of the limit and allow everyone to go 65. It just didn't work out that way.

Brian Snyder

JORBA "Roaming Gnome"
JORBA.ORG
It is difference in speeds, along with a large amount of older drivers in that area that are major causes. That combined with people who are not familar with the area and Trolls..... I mean tolls, no, I mean Trolls!

NJ Jess

Construction to begin

from 100 to 80 North and South side. They will be widening the shoulders of the roads. Seems the parkway has too tight of curves which causes more "run off the road" wrecks.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
There are certainly studies that show that as the speed goes up on highways, the fatal, serious, and slight number of accidents go up as well. This is based on hard data not projection.

walter

Fourth Party
Nobody is getting a ticket for 65 in a 55. The road troopers do not receive a cut of the "profits" and are not going to pick on someone going ten over the limit. That being said, there are definitely more accidents now than ten years ago when the limit was 55. There are also way more cars on the roads. Anyway, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

There has always been a myth as to "when" a Troop will consider you a speeder. In real life, just like ANY other job, if a guy is having a bad day, he's gonna pull the trigger. And in this case it will hold up.

My point is simply this, if you are driving down the parkway and come upon mm 100 going south, say your doing 79mph, hey its only 14 mph over the limit. Well, Mr. Old School NJSP(pre 1998 i think) just found out his wife is cheating on him. He pulls out, hunts you down and pulls you over. You think its cool, I can sweet talk my way out of this. He gives you the riot act, takes your info and comes back with 5 tickets.

1-speeding 79 in a 55- 4 points
2-no seat belt- wash
3-failure to keep right, yes, you were riding the left lane-2 points
4-probably a careless driving ticket as well-2 points
5-for shits and giggles, failure to signal right hand turn as you are pulling over onto the shoulder-2 points

Right there is 10 points, which now makes you ineligible for "voluntary insurance" and you are now on your knees sucking up the goodness of being an "assigned risk" driver, good luck on your payments.

Thank goodness you have a clean driving record because at 12 points they take your shit away. But hey, whats my advice worth, I only drive for a living with a clean record.

Again, for the record and just so you know. GSP MM 100-80 is now a 55 mph zone, happy Troops or not.

love
happy wally

Suhr40

Is this a scenerio that has actually happened to you or someone you know, or is it a combination of unlikely factors that could occur? You are more likely to be struck by a meteorite than for your scenerio to come true. We assume that cops who are having a bad day turn into road nazis, and want to spread the misery. I just don't think that this is the case. The cops don't get extra money for writing more tickets. I just try to drive safely, and not worry about police cars on the side of the road.

FFT

Gay & Stuffy
1-speeding 79 in a 55- 4 points
2-no seat belt- wash
3-failure to keep right, yes, you were riding the left lane-2 points
4-probably a careless driving ticket as well-2 points
5-for shits and giggles, failure to signal right hand turn as you are pulling over onto the shoulder-2 points

If it's after lunch add in a DWI, or open container if I'm in the middle of my lunch.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
While Walter's docu-drama is a bit outlandish, his point is that cops have bad days and it makes a difference. A few years I was hanging out with a cop who was a friend of a friend and we asked him about this. He said the quotas were bullshit, just depends on the day.

Top Bottom