Garage floor - Epoxy vs tiles?

JonF

It seems that tiles are ideal for people building out dream car/show car garages. If you work on the vehicles or use the garage for wrenching or anything where you can make a mess, tiles are not ideal. You can also make geeky pixelated super mario mushrooms with the squares, so thats cool.

For everyone else looking for true utility, floor coatings is the way.

iman29

FWIW I did the DIY Rustoleum epoxy paint in my basement when we moved here back in 2003. I knew it would be the only time the basement would be 100% empty before we moved in.

Agree the prep and acid etching was a royal PITA but I had the advantage of using the French drain and the water feed from
The washer and dryer to clean and rinse the floor.

I know it’s not the same as the garage but it’s been rock solid and hasn’t chipped or worn out at all.

I’ve debated to do my garage for years but always found a way to not do it.

Definitely do the flakes or sand so you don’t fall when the car is wet otherwise it’s slipper as shit on wet leaves.

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
I know it’s not sexy but stay with the bare floor. Drop some brake fluid on one of those floors and it’s won’t look good. It can take away pigment or stain it. If you have a lot of moisture that comes through the floor leaving behind efflorescence, it can lift up after a while. They get slippery when wet. Just some stuff to think about.

I looked into it. My neighbor did his floor. It looks nice but his can get real slick when wet. So bad he warns everyone if it’s slightly damp for some reason. I decided my floor was not worth hundreds of dollars to make pretty and put the money into tools that I use once every three years, like a fancy electronic caliper, carb tuners, and a snake camera.

JonF

I know it’s not sexy but stay with the bare floor. Drop some brake fluid on one of those floors and it’s won’t look good. It can take away pigment or stain it. If you have a lot of moisture that comes through the floor leaving behind efflorescence, it can lift up after a while. They get slippery when wet. Just some stuff to think about.

I looked into it. My neighbor did his floor. It looks nice but his can get real slick when wet. So bad he warns everyone if it’s slightly damp for some reason. I decided my floor was not worth hundreds of dollars to make pretty and put the money into tools that I use once every three years, like a fancy electronic caliper, carb tuners, and a snake camera.
The whole idea of a coated floor is that it's impermeable. I get efflorescence through the painted block wall around the side of my garage floor that's below grade but never through the coated floor itself.

And I've spilled a number of chemicals on mine, never even slightly discoloured, stained or lifted. Even hosed it down with brake cleaner and nothing. And good quality coatings will have a non skid grit added to the coating for grip. Mine has silica in the clear coat. Your neighbor must have cheaped out with the budget diy kit that lacked proper features.

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
The whole idea of a coated floor is that it's impermeable. I get efflorescence through the painted block wall around the side of my garage floor that's below grade but never through the coated floor itself.

And I've spilled a number of chemicals on mine, never even slightly discoloured, stained or lifted. Even hosed it down with brake cleaner and nothing. And good quality coatings will have a non skid grit added to the coating for grip. Mine has silica in the clear coat. Your neighbor must have cheaped out with the budget diy kit that lacked proper features.
I wasn’t saying that the powder comes through the floor, I was saying if you have a lot of moisture you can end up with the floor lifting in spots. A way to see if you have a possible moisture issue is the powder showing up now.

I have seen what brake fluid can do first hand and the floor was a pro job. It wouldn’t bother me, but it could bother some if they are looking for a pristine floor.

Just throwing my anecdotal experience out there. I don’t think it’s a terrible idea to do, but maybe not the best.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'd like to point out @Pearl that your house is brand new. It's the perfect time to do the epoxy floor as there's no prior fluid spills.

Do it, do it right w/ flakes and sand for texture. You'll be set and never have to worry about it again. The first time you have an issue with tiles you'll wish you did epoxy.

xc62701

I wasn’t saying that the powder comes through the floor, I was saying if you have a lot of moisture you can end up with the floor lifting in spots. A way to see if you have a possible moisture issue is the powder showing up now.

I have seen what brake fluid can do first hand and the floor was a pro job. It wouldn’t bother me, but it could bother some if they are looking for a pristine floor.

Just throwing my anecdotal experience out there. I don’t think it’s a terrible idea to do, but maybe not the best.
Good to know. I was thinking about doing my garage floor but I get the effervescence everywhere. Looks like I have a clumsy coke habit. May not be the best choice for me then.

ekuhn

Epoxy - Stonhard is a great product, but may only be commercially available ask your painter. Resists everything except Orange Juice. Can paint up the wall to give a nice trim.

I don't know how crawling on your back can be with the tiles.

serviceguy

Good to know. I was thinking about doing my garage floor but I get the effervescence everywhere. Looks like I have a clumsy coke habit. May not be the best choice for me then.
I was told I have an effervescent personality, I guess you could call me bubbly.

bubly.gif

Would that be a problem if I decided to get powder coated?

Just messing with you, I guess you got autocorrected when typing efflorescence...

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Epoxy - Stonhard is a great product, but may only be commercially available ask your painter. Resists everything except Orange Juice. Can paint up the wall to give a nice trim.

I don't know how crawling on your back can be with the tiles.

based on above (quoted below) it doesnt sound like @Pearl uses his garage for cars so its kind of a moot point, get whatever he thinks looks cooler and move on.
Ha about 50% of it will be covered in the black rubber mats i currently use because gym things, none of our rigs leak and likely won’t be parked in the garage that much anyway

Ian F

Is heat something to be concerned about?

If you don't plan on regularly parking cars in the garage, then perhaps basement underlayment would be better. These combined with rubber mats would give you a nice barrier between your feet and cold concrete during the winter.

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
i could spill some motorcycle oil on the floor, thats for sure...

all of my cars currently dont leak oil, but that doesnt mean one day i'll have something that doesnt... again lol

Ian F

i could spill some motorcycle oil on the floor, thats for sure...

all of my cars currently dont leak oil, but that doesnt mean one day i'll have something that doesnt... again lol
That's what they make drip pans and parking pads for. ;)

Anyway... it was just a suggestion as adding an air-gap to the flooring may make the garage more pleasant during the winter.

xc62701

I was told I have an effervescent personality, I guess you could call me bubbly.

View attachment 154754

Would that be a problem if I decided to get powder coated?

Just messing with you, I guess you got autocorrected when typing efflorescence...

I'm a noob at the powder. Sure I'll blame it on autocorrect... I didn't know that was the actual term. Look at that, I learned something today.

Top Bottom