Garage floor - Epoxy vs tiles?

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
Yes I sent a text to @Carson but he either got a new number or is ignoring me.

I want to do the new garage floor right. I'm on the fence of having the epoxy done professional with a "lifetime warranty" at $4 sq/ft, or the RaceDeck tiles at$3.59 sq/ft.

I was originally going epoxy because I thought the tiles were going to be too expensive, but now that they are likely cheaper, They are back in the picture.

JonF

Is your main deciding factor price? Or if price wasn't a factor, would you prefer one vs the other? I'm sure both have pro's and cons, but for me i went epoxy (acutally urethane with the RustBullet system). I wanted easy to clean, zero added height and not worry about spills seeping down. Also wanted access to concrete to bolt something down and wasn't sure about the point loads of the tiles.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Wash it, roll some paint on, move in a few years?

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Yes I sent a text to @Carson but he either got a new number or is ignoring me.
Busy driving Porsche. Sun is out.

I thought about this a lot since the garage is one of my main wants in a future house. The tiles look pro, but Carson's is a clean show room.:)

If I think about spilling shit between the tiles or putting in a lift, I think I'll go epoxy. Even garage floor paint. It just seems a lot easier to clean up, or to squeegee water out of the garage. The tiles are cool though if you drop your bike on it. Probably provide a bit of sound deadening too. Go 80/20. Epoxy under the cars, tiles under the work bench. Win win?

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
epoxy, thats my plan for the next house, some idiot who owned this one before us put asphault in the garage (or built the garage over part of the driveway i have NFC), would epoxy basement floor too for easy clean up.

shrpshtr325

Team MTBNJ Halter's
tell me why plz

bc @rick81721 said so, DUH!

for me its about simplicity, and durability, once its down its permanent (just let it cure properly before parking on it), no chance of breaking the epoxy dropping tools and such (i actually work on on cars so heavy shit is going to get dropped), easy to clean up (shit gets under the tiles and is hard-impossible to get out) and it can support loads just like concrete (think lift, i have a low rise now, would do 2 post if i had enough overhead clearance)

shrpshtr325

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I like all those reasons for sure. The hardest part is picking out flakes lol

lol who cares? its gonna get dirty/spilled on and you wont be able to see em anyway, the texture they provide is more important so you dont fall on your ass when you step in that puddle of spilled oil you didnt get wiped up all the way. (or is leaking out of your hoopty, idk what you drive or how its maintained, its possible)

id show my wife the options and say 'pick one' she cares much more what it looks like (at that level) than i ever will

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
Ha about 50% of it will be covered in the black rubber mats i currently use because gym things, none of our rigs leak and likely won’t be parked in the garage that much anyway

Ian F

What are you using the garage for? Tiles look really nice, but they can be a bitch to keep clean. If you pull into the garage with a slush-covered car, drainage can be a problem. I have different needs for my garage, so I can only offer what my ex- did in her garage in Plainsboro - epoxy kits from Lowes. Rustoleum, I think - about twice as many as the coverage on the box says.

The prep was the real PITA part, but that is partly because she has a fairly large garage (about 28'W x 24'D). So she did it in halves. The acid etching was the real PITA. She did this entirely DIY about 10 years ago and as far as I know it's held up. She wrenches on her cars with some frequency, so the floor does get beat on a bit.

She didn't use flakes in the epoxy - finding a dropped screw among those flakes sucks. Much easier on a solid grey floor. But flakes do look nicer and hide imperfections in the concrete. But for my ex-, the epoxy was more about function - she likes her garage spotless and bare concrete tends to produce dust. And the dropped screw issue.

She did add a bit of something (sand?) so it wouldn't be quite so slippery when it gets wet.

Do a moisture test first - tape down a 12" square of clear plastic. If there is condensation under it after a few days, then you have moisture coming up from under the slab and that will need to be dealt with. Usually applying a good sealer to the concrete after etching works.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
We will likely be here until the kids are out of high school.
Cool. I'm glad you are loving it

Etch, stain, clear two stage over it. Inexpensive. Looks good. Last forever.

Top Bottom