Garage Bike Storage Solutions- Ok to hang?

Sircrashalot

Moving to a new house and will finally have a garage, although it is a smaller two car that will have two cars in it. I need to get 4 frequently used bikes stored out of the way!

Ceiling too low to hang them from the ceiling, and not enough space on the sides for a gravity rack type deal. I am thinking of hooks on the front wall (back wall, whatever- in front of the front of the cars) to hook tires to and let them hang with tire tread area on the wall. Is this a no-no for my FS bikes with air/oil forks (bad for the fork??)??

Also, if anybody has come up with something creative and is willing to describe or post pictures I would be forever in your debt!!!

I see this kind of tire hook rack for up to $30 online but think that just big hooks from the Depot would work, that is if I am not gonna wreck my expensive oil filled forks by storing them this way, which is the biggest question.

Sircrashalot

Yes, exactly the method I had in mind.

Tony I had actually sene that one and was diggin it too......Not bad for an oil filled fork to store it sideways like that?

I was worried about oil seeping past seals, etc.?

Jdog the 'leonardo' looks cool for the road bike, and sounds fancy too. I will have to stop in for one.

TonyC

Tony I had actually sene that one and was diggin it too......Not bad for an oil filled fork to store it sideways like that?

Well actually the bike would hang vertically with that type of bracket so your fork would be horizontal. I always hung bikes upside down with two hooks and my oil filled shock had no problems.
Good luck with the new house! Funny how you're thinking about your bikes and not all the other things you need to move. Congrats!
Tony

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
Not so fancy way, but can afford to buy and store more bikes.

2225315361_1c177cd7f0.jpg

2225315337_8fb1fa2ccb.jpg

Sircrashalot

Well actually the bike would hang vertically with that type of bracket so your fork would be horizontal. I always hung bikes upside down with two hooks and my oil filled shock had no problems.
Good luck with the new house! Funny how you're thinking about your bikes and not all the other things you need to move. Congrats!
Tony

Too funny- I think I am thinking about the bikes because it is easy, as opposed to everything else involved in selling current house and getting the new one squared away!

Now I have a new problem ---- I have decided I want Pixychicks house instead! Impressive. Thanks for the links and pics everybody!

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
Getting a new house is really cool. I've been in mine for 25 years, and I never thought I would still been in the same house so long, but once you fix it up the way you like, it seems sooo comfy.

mwlikesbikes

I've stored my bikes hanging upside down for years and have never noticed any problems in my forks related to that. I use the heavy bike hooks you can get at home depot for $2 to $5 apiece. Of course i remember that's how i found out the seals on my old duke 100 were leaking. Still, i don't see a problem with it.

dirty bert

Banned
hangin'

I've stored my bikes hanging upside down for years and have never noticed any problems in my forks related to that. I use the heavy bike hooks you can get at home depot for $2 to $5 apiece. Of course i remember that's how i found out the seals on my old duke 100 were leaking. Still, i don't see a problem with it.

is it ok to have the bike hang wit hydralic brakes? no air bubbles in the line?

Sircrashalot

uuug...er.....hadnt really even THOUGHT about the brakes. What if I put the rear wheel in the hook so that the caliper will still be below where the lever is, although not by much? Will that keep things happy?

Top Bottom