FYI - Wildcat Trail Running Race 8/15/2020

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
There's a scheduled trail running race for this upcoming weekend so plan accordingly. Realistically there won't be large groups of runners on these trails as it spreads out.

Races range from 10 miles to 100K, so people will be out there for awhile. 50M and 100K races start at 8am. 10M race starts at 9am, that will probably have larger groupings.

Map below.

Icv1Cyh8x0i_3jETXesSW3WTGEXF8n2OM2vlqiY0aCj8usdbg_j4pTs9MN-YLC2yfdvhqjp8UldQFtfAyuJss0OU5fppNNp3W12SzSqL15Qr8JXckQME=w1280

jackx

Interesting. Good to know that August 15 will not be a good day to be riding those trails. Thanks!

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
You just need a permit.

"Any group activities, including guided walks, launching kayaks/innertubes, picnics or sporting events on a WMA of 10 or more people require a Special Use Permit."

Interestingly:
"Activities including, but not limited to the following, require a Special Use Permit: blah, blah, blah blah, running/biking events, blah, blah, blah, blah"

But:

"Competitive mountain bicycles races and group events will not be permitted on wildlife management areas statewide."

Last edited:

68nova200

That route going along the dam leads me to believe they were not granted permission to do this race. That bridge is not car and multiple runners at the same time friendly...

ryderX

That route going along the dam leads me to believe they were not granted permission to do this race. That bridge is not car and multiple runners at the same time friendly...
I’m pretty sure this race has been held for the last 8-10 years and the folks that organize it do numerous races across the state. I’m sure they pull whatever permits are needed.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
And yes, they have a permit, hence why this race is still on.

They are also doing a lot of waves, and people need to wear masks.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions