Funny Question

The Kalmyk

Couldn't tell you how many times I've ridden Allaire problem free BUT....A couple of weeks ago I came home with what I thought was Poison Ivy instead it was:

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://mdc.mo.gov/nathis/arthopo/chiggers/images/skin2.gif&imgrefurl=http://mdc.mo.gov/nathis/arthopo/chiggers/&h=364&w=200&sz=34&hl=en&start=3&um=1&tbnid=BqLqP0R1KDKB2M:&tbnh=121&tbnw=66&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dchiggers%26svnum%3D10%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN

It was the first time I rode the other side of the Hospital Rd. parking lot....Any of the ATUG peeps ever experience this.....

Spence

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
Sounds like something we called "pinolillo" back home.
...always around the crotch area..

The "old pueblo" tale, supposedly, was if you put a match near the area, the little buggers would come out....:D

The Kalmyk

Sounds like something we called "pinolillo" back home.
...always around the crotch area..

The "old pueblo" tale, supposedly, was if you put a match near the area, the little buggers would come out....:D

They only got up to my knee good thing they didnt get that far up....They wouldve been very very disappointed if they did get that far up:rofl:

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
:rofl: :rofl:

I got some info from down south ;)

1) The burn thing is true....put a cigarette close to the rash :getsome:
2) tooth paste or other cream (I guess the same ointment for poison ivy)
3) There is a REPELLENT intended for cattle and other animals, you are supposed to dilute it with water, because it is really strong, and then spray it on your clothes...I was told some hunters and people that are usually in the woods do this.

this one: ASUNTOL
http://www.vetcontact.com/en/art.php?a=52&t=
asuntol_jabon_3_small.jpg

beachwoodbikes

Shop: Beachwood Bikes
Shop Keep
Chiggers

Keep a small amount of liquid soap in the back seat and lather up your legs with a little soap while you are disarming from your gear after that hard ride. A minute or two usually does the trick and those guys take for the hills.

Frank

Sasquatch
yearly

Spence,
I ride and work Allaire and I get chiggers every year. Deep Woods Off helps prevent chiggers (at least for me), but don't just spray your legs...they will crawl up until they find non-poisoned skin. They seem to like the tall grassy areas which the area across the street has a lot of. They are usually dead after the first frost though.

Once you get infested it seems like you want to pour gasoline on your legs and light them on fire it itches so bad. Call your doctor and tell him you have chiggers/sand fleas/etc and ask for Lindaine. This is a topical poison that will kill the buggers. Sadly you will still be stuck with that itch for a while. Calamine lotion helps with the itch.If you are not infested you can try clear nail polish. Just a dab on the bite and you choke out the little bas@#*d. I have heard of people doing this....I never tried it because I am usually infested:( when I get them.

Chiggers are not visible to the naked eye. They bite you and the skin swells around them. They don't burrow like everyone thinks. When you look at them under magnification they look like a small crab. They are a major annoyance and I dread them worse than ticks. This info might have been in your original link(which I didn't read after I saw the word chigger) and if I double posted I appologize. Good luck with your itching....I feel your pain.

Frank

The Kalmyk

Frank- I couldnt agree more that I would much rather have ticks than chiggers...I think the itchy after affect is the worst of it all

Spence

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
This whole thing sucks.

I have not had them and don't want them

yuck!

FFT

Gay & Stuffy
I use Chigger-X, and try to stay away from tall grass-thats where those mofo's live. It'll itch for a good week, then the itchy redness will reside. Dont let the chiggers scare you away, they are isolated to the grassy areas and easy to avoid.

RonC

ZGOZZ Macman
Oh now I know, and knowing is half the battle.
I will be using a little bit more spray......:hmmm:

Matt_

I Get Jokes
:eek: That's what I had!!! :puke:

I'm super alergic to poison... but I got this really weird spotty rash last year that just didn't seem like an poison i've ever had. I did some research and freaked out thinking I had bed bugs in the house (literally spaz'd out to the point of sleeping with a flashlight and checking my legs on occasion).

Looked up some pics of chigger bites... and sure enough... looks exactly like what I had on my legs.

Now i know... and i'll be watching out for them bastards :getsome:

Matt_

I Get Jokes
lol. by "watching for them" what i really meant was "ill be using a crap load of bug spray AND if i see a single bite pop up i'll be taking immediate action to eradicate the varmints"

jkrat

I got them 2 sunday's ago not at allaire though,i went on a run through the pines with the jeep and got out move some downed trees,2 weeks later and I my legs are still itchy.They are evil good luck man.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions