Fun Stuff!!!

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Ok so like a month ago Kirt says to me, "Do you keep a spare hanger with you?" Of course I don't because it never occured to me to do such. Ok, so you think you know where this story is going right now. But no, you don't, not exactly. A few weeks ago, Kirt asks again, "Did you ever pick up that spare hanger?" No, haven't thought about it. A few weeks ago at Chimney Rock I bent it, and we went back to the Newman's lot and bent it back. Right, so maybe a little strained at this point already.

So that's the forshadowing. Up Cardiac then over Rollie Pollie today, then I decide I'm going to shoot out the white trail and pick up the green, head down the rail trail, up red, then back on white and maybe back down Cardiac at the end. I don't know the park well so this is my attempt to learn it. So out I am on the white trail, past the "ice cream" sign, and up a pretty good rock face. This is about an hour in. On top, it's slippery, no big deal it's been slipperay all day. Down the other side and SNAP. Nothing to do with slippery rocks or anything, just a broken hanger.

Darn, I proclaim, or possibly worse. History has forgotten the specific word used. I tool around for 15 minutes trying to make the bike a half-ass SS. I yank the derailler off and play with the chain a bit. Power link off, I'm sizing up the chain for a "get me home" gear. Ok, I find something that *may* work. But the portable chain tool I have is not even remotely close to being able to break the chain. Ok, ok, no problem. I'll walk & coast it. I think I was like 15-20 minutes out. No big deal.

Yeah, ok, big deal Norm. We've all had mechanicals before this is nothing new. Is there more? Yes yes, hold on. Walking & coasting the white trail back is no problem. A fair amount of gradual downhills make it easier than straight walking. I considered jogging for a time but really no need, I'm not that far out. Plus I hate jogging. Before long I'm almost where the white trail meets Cardiac, where I can coast the white trail all the way back to the car. All I need to do is cross the little foot bridge over the stream.

I step on the foot bridge, I think it was the right foot as I look back now but I'm not sure how many steps I took, and ZOOM my foot flies out from under me. Did I mention it was slippery? Ok before I know it things are moving fast. They say when shit happens life slows down. Well, down I go towards the stream AND THAT FUCKING ROCK IS COMING UP FAST AT...*SPLASH*

The splash sounds more grand than it is, even though I'm now half drenched. As soon as I hit the rock I know it's not good. Wind knocked out of me, slight panic because I know this feeling from playing football years ago. I scramble out of there as fast as I can because if I'm going to pass out, let's do it where the water isn't. Ok, then up and out quickly. I stand up, still flustered, no problems though. No stars, etc etc. Left side of chest hurts. I see some scratches on the leg, whatever. I gingerly grab my bike, still on the foot bridge as if someone laid it down to have a walk, and pull it away.

Coast down the hill, yeah those ribs hurt. And boy that leg is a little swollen. I'm one of those people who deals with pain by laughing. Don't ask me, it just happens. So I'm rolling down the white trail, slowly, scratches & bruises up my left leg, ribs slightly aching, laughing because it all hurts. I get to the car in one piece though.

So all in all I counted 10 separate scrapes on both hands, whole of the left leg, right thigh, and right ankle. Left index finger jammed. Big nasty swollen right upper calf/knee area, not sure what. And it seems to be bruised ribs on the left side. I didn't go to the doctor because they simply cant do anything for bruised ribs. It's just gotta heal. It grew more and more sore for about 4 hours, but seems to be stabilizing or maybe even feeling a little better. Strangely, laying down is the toughest. Standing up or sitting here is no big deal, I feel fine. Surfing some of the message boards about bruised ribs, it seems sleeping is the toughest of all, since laying down hurts. Fun fun.

Not sure what this means for riding, but I'm probably off the mtb for 4-8 weeks or so. No big deal since I have a broken spoke, broken hanger, and both the derailler and chain are still in my camelbak. No idea how this effects road and/or trainer rides. Timing sucks because I'm in a build period but then when is it ever good? If it was a week before the 50k, now that would be bad timing. There's a guy I know who ended his season with a broken collar bone in his last 100 mile event a few months ago. It could be worse.

Anyway it's all good, at least so far. I'm not pissing or spitting blood. So I got that going for me, which is nice. I wonder what the moral of the story is here though. Is it...

...carry an extra hanger with you?
...carry a real chain tool?
...always ride with someone?
...stay on the road when it's 70 degrees and moist in January?
...if you get new biking shoes for Christmas don't wear the old ones simply because you don't want to get the new ones all muddy?
...shit happens?

Beats me. I'm open for other suggestions. Thanks for listening, hope you enjoyed it.

Last edited:

ArmyOfNone

Good to hear you are ok Norm. I have never injured myself as badly as you have but i have left the trails needing 12 stitches in my elbow.

My last ride at six mile was one of those from hell as well. Fell off a bridge, slipped on rocks and in 40 degree weather riding soaking wet is all but enjoyable. Im sure all of us have shared similar experiences.

So rest up, get well and we will see you out there soon!

Shaggz

A strong 7
Norm - that blows. I'm not even going to try to say something to make you feel better or impart some pearl of wisdom that will only make you feel worse. I know how important this base period is to you, so take it easy and heal up soon.

heythorp

Norm - that blows. I'm not even going to try to say something to make you feel better or impart some pearl of wisdom that will only make you feel worse. I know how important this base period is to you, so take it easy and heal up soon.

oh please, this thread is asking for some of your patented wise ass comments. He knows what he is in for when posting something of this nature.

I on the other hand, I have already RIBBED him about it.

Last edited:

ryderX

Wise ass comment to follow...

Should of been road riding. You could of had season ending injury, now that would of sucked. Base building happens in the lower heart rate zones, not pegged in Z5 while scaling/climbing the hills of Allamuchy.
Hopefully that was you season' major crash for '07, so look at as a positive thing.

Last edited:

NJ Jess

Get well soon

and I guess you can how surf the web for interesting cycling related web sites. Therefore, go now and post your findings! Oh, ps,....increase your Calcium, phos, mag and vit c/zinc levels to speed your recovery!

J-Dro

Wow, bad karma was all over you today Norm.

What did we learn?

...carry an extra hanger with you?

Yes definitely. Of course, once you put one in your Camelback, you will never ever need it.

...carry a real chain tool?

Hmmm I carry a cheap chain tool and its always worked when I needed it. Maybe you need a different cheap chain tool.

...always ride with someone?

Not always practical. Especialy when you have limited time to ride (ie. kids)

...stay on the road when it's 70 degrees and moist in January?

I say, a bad day on singletrack is better then a good day on the road.

...if you get new biking shoes for Christmas don't wear the old ones simply because you don't want to get the new ones all muddy?

This time of year, wear whatever shoes have the most grip. People make fun of me cuz I wear these clunky Adidas 3/4 high shoes but they have great traction.

...shit happens?

Yep definitely. Get back on the horse soon!!

heythorp

Should of been road riding. You could of had season ending injury, now that would of sucked. Base building happens in the lower heart rate zones, not pegged in Z5 while scaling/climbing the hills of Allamuchy.
Hopefully that was you season' major crash for '07, so look at as a positive thing.

good stuff,

the thing that sucks about this is, it wasnt even a crash, he was walking his bike when he fell off the bridge. At least i dont think the qualifies as a crash.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
damn, all these replies of condolance make me want to actually read the entire message... i will say get better and back on the bike soon norm! you know the saying: what doesn't kill you, really hurts.

ryderX

Very familiar...

I had a nearly identical little "near season" ending cartwheel off that same damn bridge last year. It was a bitter cold Monday afternoon in the mid teens and I had the day off, so I decided to get a few extra hours in after a big weekend. Even thing was going fine until I hit the bridge and went shooting off of it like it was coated in grease. I didn't even have a chance to clip out or grab the brakes. I went from an upright wheels down position to being impladed on a spear shaped rock 3 feet down in nano seconds. I actually layed there for 2 or 3 minutes, not sure to cry or crawl down the hill to car. It was so cold, that the water I found after crashing through the layer of ice, froze on my gloved hands on the way out of the woods. I managed to call my wife (who is an RN), and she gave me her stock reply answer to my bike crash woes," It cant' hurt as bad as giving birth". She then proceeded to break my horns about "base miles, road riding, HR zones and everything else I figured she never paid attention to, when I spoke.
So in good natured ball breaking I gladly pass it on to you.
Happy New Year:D

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Thanks for the well wishes guys, though heythorpe is right when he says I knew what I was getting into when I posted. In fact, I was expecting things such as "Hey ass magnet" and "You've got to be kidding me" or "I told you so." Unfortunately he's also right when he says it wasn't even a crash. I suck.

Jeff - good comments all. I don't even know what shoes would have the best grip in this crap. After rollie pollie I was like, "Ok let's make this an offroad tempo ride." Traction was just lousy. The Panaracer Cinders, hmm not a fan right now, though I don't know if any tire performs well in this.

Kris - Yeah hopefully this is as bad as it gets in '07. As for base, this season is all about reverse periodization for me, though we'll see if I can pull off VO2max intervals in 2 weeks from now. That was the idea but that could be changed now. Whatever, life dictates. I just go with it.

On the bright side I seem to be getting less sore as the day goes on. I'm hopeful for tomorrow. We'll see. I'm thinking Sourlands, full rigid, no helmet, bald tires. Anyone want to join me?

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I had a nearly identical little "near season" ending cartwheel off that same damn bridge last year. It was a bitter cold Monday afternoon in the mid teens and I had the day off, so I decided to get a few extra hours in after a big weekend. Even thing was going fine until I hit the bridge and went shooting off of it like it was coated in grease. I didn't even have a chance to clip out or grab the brakes. I went from an upright wheels down position to being impladed on a spear shaped rock 3 feet down in nano seconds. I actually layed there for 2 or 3 minutes, not sure to cry or crawl down the hill to car. It was so cold, that the water I found after crashing through the layer of ice, froze on my gloved hands on the way out of the woods. I managed to call my wife (who is an RN), and she gave me her stock reply answer to my bike crash woes," It cant' hurt as bad as giving birth". She then proceeded to break my horns about "base miles, road riding, HR zones and everything else I figured she never paid attention to, when I spoke.
So in good natured ball breaking I gladly pass it on to you.
Happy New Year:D

LOL good stuff!

I just read this to my wife who said, "Damn! I can't use that because I had a c-section!"

Shaggz

A strong 7
hey ass magnet - you gotta be kidding me. remember what i said yesterday about sloppy conditions? i told you so.

there - i feel better now.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
hey ass magnet - you gotta be kidding me. remember what i said yesterday about sloppy conditions? i told you so.

there - i feel better now.

Yes yes, something about IMBAman, right? Prick must have a hex on me.

BTW, beer helps.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Oh crap, not to misquote Kirt, he said spare hanger, not derailler.

Kirt

JORBA: Chimney Rock, Team MTBNJ.COM
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Ouch

Norm,

Sorry about the "The Fall".

I told you so. (Had to say it)

4 to how many weeks off the bike? Are you f'ing kidding me? 1 week tops, nothing's even broke! (except the bike).

Now you know why they removed the bridge from 24hr of Allamuchy loop.

My ribs still hurt from October so don't expect to them to fell better for a
while.

We didn't even ride today because of the conditions.

Feel better.

Kirt

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Kirt,

Who knows, we'll see. Feeling better as the night goes on though it may of course be the 3 beers. I figure the next month isn't critical to be off-road anyway so whatever. I'll have plenty of road/trainer time to get in.

Interesting that was part of the course removed from the 24. I guess I know why now.

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
OK, Norm, you've gotten it out of the way. You should be good to go for the rest of 2007.

For what it's worth, you should be able to get on the trainer fairly soon.

Good luck and speedy healling.

Top Bottom