Fun Place

D

DANSPANK

I think Tourne is a bit under-rated. I love this place! I had a great ride here yesterday evening, about 16miles 2500ft of climbing - really nice.

Most people park at the base of Tourne but if you can find the Mountain Lakes swiming lake and park there then you hit some great swoopy singletrack before tackling Tourne. There's a nice steep,rocky climb about 5 minutes in that I've only made once without dabbing - it's my challege spot and if you ride in on the red trail from Mountain Lakes then you'll know exactly where I mean.

After more swoops and a few rocky climbs you'll come across the switchbacks that've been talked about. Personally I love these and "great job" to those who put the effort in.

A quick up past a nice 18-24" rock jump on your left that you hit on the way back, and then it's a nice swoop downwards towards the base of Tourne.

Now you can go for Tourne straight from there or take the road left or right to the bottom of the hill and attack Tourne from there like real men do.

Maybe hit Tourne a couple of times and then make aleft out of the car park down the road hill. You'll pass another car park and portajohns on the right, climb up the road hill and you'll see a gravel trail on the right. This may still be the red trail. Take it and follow it up. You climb alongside a lake. It's rocky but a easy climb. I think some of this trail is hiking only so you "may" have to walk a little.

At the top the trail heads right for some nice rocky/bouncy downhill - just focus, keep the wheel straight, and power through the rocks. You'll eventually come back to the main gravel trail around the lake. If you make a left then the trail will take you back to your car. Screw that, make a right and head back in to the woods.

A lot of the trails criss-cross each other and you may need to do a bit or repeitition but the trails are fun so just go for it.

Extra bonus; aim to be riding right at dusk and you'll see literally hundreds and thousands of fireflies. I'm memorised by these things as we don't have them back home. It's like riding through a kryptonite mine!

Jake, 3 of these rides a week and you've got your 8k ft of climbing, son!

Glancing Aft

Great description, I'm going to miss the Tourne a ton. You forgot to mention one of the best trails though! The single track that goes off of the "back side" of the tourne, it's a fun trail indeed, although better when it had the "ladder bridges".

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I think Tourne is a bit under-rated. I love this place! I had a great ride here yesterday evening, about 16miles 2500ft of climbing - really nice.

Most people park at the base of Tourne but if you can find the Mountain Lakes swiming lake and park there then you hit some great swoopy singletrack before tackling Tourne. There's a nice steep,rocky climb about 5 minutes in that I've only made once without dabbing - it's my challege spot and if you ride in on the red trail from Mountain Lakes then you'll know exactly where I mean.

After more swoops and a few rocky climbs you'll come across the switchbacks that've been talked about. Personally I love these and "great job" to those who put the effort in.

A quick up past a nice 18-24" rock jump on your left that you hit on the way back, and then it's a nice swoop downwards towards the base of Tourne.

Now you can go for Tourne straight from there or take the road left or right to the bottom of the hill and attack Tourne from there like real men do.

Maybe hit Tourne a couple of times and then make aleft out of the car park down the road hill. You'll pass another car park and portajohns on the right, climb up the road hill and you'll see a gravel trail on the right. This may still be the red trail. Take it and follow it up. You climb alongside a lake. It's rocky but a easy climb. I think some of this trail is hiking only so you "may" have to walk a little.

At the top the trail heads right for some nice rocky/bouncy downhill - just focus, keep the wheel straight, and power through the rocks. You'll eventually come back to the main gravel trail around the lake. If you make a left then the trail will take you back to your car. Screw that, make a right and head back in to the woods.

A lot of the trails criss-cross each other and you may need to do a bit or repeitition but the trails are fun so just go for it.

Extra bonus; aim to be riding right at dusk and you'll see literally hundreds and thousands of fireflies. I'm memorised by these things as we don't have them back home. It's like riding through a kryptonite mine!

Jake, 3 of these rides a week and you've got your 8k ft of climbing, son!

I'm going to use this as my trail review for the Tourne.

D

DANSPANK

You forgot to mention one of the best trails though! The single track that goes off of the "back side" of the tourne, it's a fun trail indeed, although better when it had the "ladder bridges".

Ooooo, where's this? Where's this?

Glancing Aft

Ooooo, where's this? Where's this?

climb up the gravel fireroad toward the top of the tourne in a clockwise direction. About 3/4th of the way up you will see a very narrow unmarked single track trail on your left just before you get to the clearing with a view towards the north with a bench at it. The trail is really fun and has some techy sections. Watch yourself on the first left hand turn it's really easy to go OTB. The trail used to see more use, and even is shown on a few of the maps I've seen of the park but doesn't see as much love as it used too. There are several new blow downs on it this year.

D

DANSPANK

I found the downhill on Saturday. It brings you out by the paved road. It's pretty good even with the steepy section at the top. I found it after doing 7, yes 7 back-to-back hill repeats - count 'em boys!!

And at the end of the ride I did one more up the backside (leave it!) of Tourne so 8 ascents total. Thank you, son!

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I found the downhill on Saturday. It brings you out by the paved road. It's pretty good even with the steepy section at the top. I found it after doing 7, yes 7 back-to-back hill repeats - count 'em boys!!

And at the end of the ride I did one more up the backside (leave it!) of Tourne so 8 ascents total. Thank you, son!

dan, if that's the trail that starts over the big rocks up top becareful. that section is closed. not sure about the other one where the bridges used to be.

oh, and seven (sorry, eight) times on a geared bike? c'mon son, the free world is on 29er single speeds now. :D

D

DANSPANK

I realise that my Tourne-ascending powers are weak, and I did my ascents on my 26er as my 29er was up on blocks being converted to tubeless - I will work harder Bonefishjake-san.

If you head anti-clockwise down Tourne then the trail starts just opposite a large rock on the left - just before the first bench (on the way down).

It's not one of the trails off the very top. They were fun but I know they're closed now...

bonefishjake

Team MTBNJ Halter's
very good daniel-san. now wax da car, paint da fence, shine my shoes and you will be ready for tourne decending axshun. :D

when i lived on the tourne i rode there four times a week. such a great little local gem...of course at that time, the "top of the tourne" was open.

Glancing Aft

this is somehow actually making me miss the tourne. Perhaps I should try to get one final ride there before I move...

I'm still not sure we are talking about the same trail, the one I'm talking about would be to the right as you're going anti-clockwise down from the top. To my knowledge it still isn't off limits.

bonefishjake

Team MTBNJ Halter's
we're talking the same one will...as you go counter-clockwise (maybe anti is a brit thing?) from the top.

D

DANSPANK

Anti - as in "against". My god, you've only been independant for a few years and look what you've done to the language!

There's a slim chance I'll be at Tourne this evening for a spinsville. Probably around 7:30 at the Moutain Lakes car park.

J

Jerryg

Annual Tourne Visit

Folks, a bud and I are making our yearly return to NJ for a Saturday Diablo feast followed up by a Sunday run through the Tourne. In other threads I noticed talk about closures of old trails and additions of switchbacks etc. Can someone provide me with updates on where these are and what other changes have occurred ( good and bad)?

Started riding this great park over twenty years ago and since moving to Boston all visits to se my NJ based folks include stops at Lewis Morris or Tourne.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Peace

bonefishjake

Team MTBNJ Halter's
i will help but only if i'm offered insider experience on where to ride up there! :D i'm usually in new england once a month and i'm itching to bring the bike. anyway...

...the only trail in the tourne that is closed (that i think was there 20 years ago...pretty sure it was...) is the one at the very top of the tourne at the look out area. you used to roll over a series of big, cool rocks, bang a couple quick turns then boogie straight down the fall line. well, no more. the county closed it.

the switchbacks that everyone is referring to are "newly" built on the redtrail as you ride it counter clockwise toward mt. lakes. this trail used to go straight up the fall line but was re-routed. if you ride the red trail you'll hit it.

that's about it other than that ALL of the logs that used to be rideable are now gone and the huge rock you used to be able to roll down is no longer an option.

the only other thing that would be different is that there is a trail 3/4 of the way up the gravel road to the top of the tourne (as you're riding clockwise). that one can be a bit dicey if you don't know where you're going. it's also a pretty rocky entry.

other than that, i can't think of anything.

J

Jerryg

Done...my local ride is a sweet place called Lynn Woods. Anytime you find yourself heading up this way be sure to post and I will give you the Platinum Tour.

Thanks for the info, I do remember the line down from the top of the Tourne, fairly straight shot with some steep drops towards the bottom. I will look for the new trail you mention off the top. One last question while I have your kind attention...is there anything worthwhile off the backside near the old sledding hill? I seem to recall a short hump up through overgrown weeds etc and a trail or two off to the left. There was I believe a cement block or marker up there as well.

Thanks again for your help, if you are in the area Sunday we will be there around 10am in a silver Pathfinder w/ Mass plates. I will be on the Red Mountain Cycle Fury and my bud the Scottsman will be on a Goold Enduro.

Lynn Woods is awesome... very technical, huge drops and all the climbs you can handle.

Peace

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions