full squish: too much jargon!

THATmanMANNY

In my attempt to find the best multi-link full squish all mountain bike... I think I am going to give up for now :cry:. It seems like most shops don't have a full squish for me to demo on the trails and two, I can't try them all and there is just too much jargon and maybe gimmicks I don't want to fall for. For instance...

Trek's full floater, active braking pivot (ABP), EVO link
Kona's Magic Link
Giant's Maestro
Santa Cruz's VPP
Turner's DW-Link
Specialized's FSR
etc
etc
etc
etc

All the designs seem to incorporate the same function and of course say they are the best, but I'm gonna need to try most of them. So far only a couple of them have explained their tech very well. Hopefully go to a big bike festival and demo them all. But in the meantime I would like to hear first hand experiences if you have ridden/ride more than one (for good comparison sake) of these multi-link full squish.

Last edited:

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I was thinking more like along the lines of the Reign

YES i know i was asking for that one :p

Out of your list, I would aim for a Giant or Santa Cruz.

You know halters has the Trance X to demo. Honestly, unless you are going to be using this for a chairlift bike, the Reign is going to be overkill. The Trance X if going to handle what you can throw at it, unless you plan on landing flat on greater than 4' drops.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Yes I am :D Looking for at least 140mm with slack headtube. 160mm would preferable. But maybe I'll still demo the trance to see the tech

where are you planning to ride this bike, just Diablo? And don't be landing flat, nose that shit in! Anyways, the Meastro technology is no joke. Cost to Performance ratio cannot be beat for the giants.

ItsWin

They say Pivot suspension is also nice and their bikes are known for being laterally stiff.

I've read on the Speedgoat website that Corsair bikes are the allegedly the current craze in rear suspension. Check out this URL:
http://www.speedgoat.com/product.asp?part=139465&cat=35&brand=1226

I'm a hardtail guy, so nothing I said above is based on my own experience. Just passing the info along and adding to your confusion (though hoping it's helpful, of course). :cool:

THATmanMANNY

http://www.ellsworthbikes.com/advantage/

Look at the videos for ICT, they compair it to some of the bikes you mentioned.
WOW! :eek: everyone needs to watch this! (the in depth ITC vid to the right somewhere) They sold their tech well.

where are you planning to ride this bike, just Diablo? And don't be landing flat, nose that shit in! Anyways, the Meastro technology is no joke. Cost to Performance ratio cannot be beat for the giants.
Yea that ratio is very niiiice. That's why if I cop one of these other frames it will have to be used and mint or someone with the hookup ;). Well I plan to replace my DH bike with this potential beefy all mtn. I'm small dude. So it can probably take some FR while still being a 30lbs-ish all mtn bike.

MST.ESQ

Check the manufacturers sites for demo schedules! If having to buy a ticket to fly to California or Utah is convenient, you can demo them all :hmmm:(please note sarcasm).

I am in the same boat as you. I would love to buy a full-squish, but do not want to pull the trigger unless I have demo'd the bikes that interest me. Having kids and a job kept me from Jorbafest this year - where I understand demos were on hand.

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
I've had Maestro and DW bikes and will say both were great and did exactly what they said they would do. The shop I bought from, amount of travel and bike setup were all much more noticeable than suspension differences. ICT is FSR BTW. Turner and Pivot are both DW and Maestro is a take on DW as well. The new Blur LT is supposedly the bomb. I'd take any of the above in orange or green.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
i demoed a rize at jorbafest. was a nice ride but it was a little TOO squishy for my taste.

probably not set up right, I rode the c-dales reps one at halters (just around the parking lot and rocks behind) and it was sick. He is about the same size as me, so eveything fit perfect. The rize is an awesome bike.

Top Bottom