full squish: too much jargon!

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
I'm short and 140 lbs and with a totem that could be my downhill bike.
Meanwhile I can't believe Giant classifies it as an AM bike. 6.7" and able to run a dual-crown? F'n big bike, boy.

THATmanMANNY

nice dude! that is alotta bike for a scrawny guy like you :D
hey! I told you I'd be taking 4' flat drops :p

Well this is a good amount of travel but i did not want to get another bike just for trail/AM. Based on the reviews I read, this bike is slamming and is AM and can be taken to the park. That is why my DH is up for sale. I have yet to try on trails but I will probably concur with most reviews that it can climb seated with no bob. Not to mention it is seriously LIGHT for 6.7"!!! Of course it's not XC race worthy or 6 mile fast but the X seemed to be the good choice. I wanted a bike I can ride anywhere.

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
It's pretty crazy that a near-7" bike can be a "do-it-all" bike nowadays. which X did you get? Weighed it yet?

I'll strongly be considering the Reign when I come back to biking next year. That's probably as big as I'll get.

They're dong away with the Reign too. Two years ago Giant made the Anthem, Trance and Reign, and starting next year all will be gone in favor of the Anthem X, Trance X and Reign X.

THATmanMANNY

Well all together now. Just need some fine tuning like maybe clipping some cables and minute adjustments. Pic later.

It's pretty crazy that a near-7" bike can be a "do-it-all" bike nowadays. which X did you get? Weighed it yet?
-X1
-step on scale :eek:... bone stock medium-pedals = 35lbs

THATmanMANNY

Pics

53400024.jpg

53400027.jpg

53400028.jpg

53400026.jpg

53400030.jpg

53400031.jpg

sixseven

Nice one Manny. That is a hot looking machine. Give a ride report sometime.
I love that it says six.seven on it! I might have to get one...

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
A guy had a reign X on the back on his SUV across from my house yesterday. damn big bike. the regular reign is probably still my pick, and given its being phased out there should be some deals on these '09s early next year. oh yeah.
i'd love to buy american though. wish those ventanas weren't so pricey.

THATmanMANNY

o-m-g

The X's maiden voyage was sent off at the Jorba Allamuchy ride today and based on this first ride I just want to say a few things before a full review cause I am that thrilled with it...

It's pretty crazy that a near-7" bike can be a "do-it-all" bike nowadays...
It IS a do it all bike!!!

That's huckalicious!
Like you wouldn't believe!!!

sick looking bike manny, hopefully you do that thing justice;)
Justice served!!! :getsome:

an exhausted, very hungry, & dehydration affected Manny, PEACE :D

Last edited:

THATmanMANNY

sorry to bore you

First I want to say that I totally loved the mooch and I'm still smiling from that ride. The switchback downhills, descending down that one long face of rock, very unique rolly polly, the sweet transfers off rocks, the white trail, the last downhill out, just everything!!! haha :D It has got to be one of the best AM riding in NJ.

Geo: Pretty comfortable. Great fit for 5'-9". It feels a bit high up front like you're sitting on a throne. I rocked the cone riser and one more spacer before the stem. I may want to drop it a lil' for better climbing feel.
Tires: 2.35 Nevegals... not much need to be said... great on every part of ride
Climbing: Seated climbing is very stable and efficient with the rear sus at work. Maybe even better than the HT. The small bump compliance is for real. The sus just gives me more confidence all around. However, you do experience bob standing climb like all FS bikes. The bike is a tad heavy but at super granny gear I did every climb at mooch. Didn't feel the weight was holding me back any. But if you are just aiming for speed with AM riding, I think you are totally missing the point. When the time comes I may switch for a lower cassette tho just in case I don't feel good on some days.
Downhill: Real smooth. Bulldozed all size of rocks without getting caught up. The head angle is superb! for both down and up. Long wheelbase makes bike stable at high speeds but tight abrupt turns aren't too smooth. Def wouldn't make it through 6mile twisties too smooth :rolleyes:
Suspension: Like previously stated the rear is very active on the small and big. The fork, I set the low and high speed compression in the middle and not to much to complain about. The fork with the nifty fox QR 20 was real stable. Can't feel much difference messing with the preload setting. With 160mm fork, I was about 1/2" from totally bottoming out. The sus let me take pretty gnarly drop and some sweet launches off some rocks along the way.
Brakes: The hayers stroker trail stop pretty well. The reach is adjustable. I bet they will even work better a few rides in. But I have a set of avid elixir I may throw on to try.

The only real complaint I have is when the sus is active, the BB can get pretty low and with the long stub on the cranks I hit a few rocks on the crank arms a bit.

IMO, AM riding is the best riding has to offer. The technicality, you climb, you huck, you drop, and ultimately you downhill. Im addicted. I don't think I have ever pushed that hard going downhill. That group of experienced AM riders def helped push the envelope but the reign X made it possible. All in all, I'm just real happy about this purchase. I give it a X ;)

THATmanMANNY

I rode this baby at 6mile today. YES! @ 6mile hoping not to abuse my recovering ankle. It turned 6mile into a different ride. The 27 side is way fun with a slack geo and 6"!!! The new bridge is killer forward and backwards and for the first time I aired out very nicely on the death jump. I love suspension! :D

I am sweating the 2010 hardcore :drooling: lots of weight shaven (~30lbs) and a reachable on the fly rear suspension.

THATmanMANNY

Thanks man. Yea. I thought I was done for a little while but it healed at a fast rate. Some bruising left still and wearing a heavy duty brace.

LET'S HUCK YOUR MOOTS!!!

Top Bottom