Frozen water main - suggestions?

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
What is it about cave crickets that just get everyone? They freak me out to the core.
If that's what was in @jmanic 's beer shed that one time, then yes, fuck those foot long monsters.
91787-kill-it-with-fire-gif-eu75.gif

serviceguy

They're the reason I keep delaying any electric work in the crawl space. I usually bomb/fog the place the day before going in. I knew they were there, but what really got me was that one time I was on my back fixing the spaghetti bowl of old BX cable under the living room floor when I started having a weird feeling, like being watched...there was 4 of them staring at me from a joist nearby. Never managed to crawl out of there so fast before! The fact that they supposedly eat their own legs if food is scarce freaks me out even more!

The Kalmyk

Geesh- are these cave crickets dangerous? Pretty heavy negative polarity towards them.

Clearly I have zero experience with them.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
They're the reason I keep delaying any electric work in the crawl space. I usually bomb/fog the place the day before going in. I knew they were there, but what really got me was that one time I was on my back fixing the spaghetti bowl of old BX cable under the living room floor when I started having a weird feeling, like being watched...there was 4 of them staring at me from a joist nearby. Never managed to crawl out of there so fast before! The fact that they supposedly eat their own legs if food is scarce freaks me out even more!

the collective noun for crickets is a crackle - but these are actually spiders, which is a clutter.

tyvek suit......http://a.co/eO9ikt9

ChrisRU

They are dangerous because they cause panic. Hysterical reactions that result in loved ones running to the rescue, objects being flung across rooms, scuff marks on the wall, and occasionally a successfully squashed mess of bug guts.

Gross but harmless.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Real crickets are worse, far worse. Summary below:

Cave crickets: Big dumb bugs that sit in the middle of the floor. When you step on them, they start at your foot and welcome death.
Real cricket: Impossible to find. Make high-pitched noise that pierces brain and prevents you from sleeping. Likely product of ISIS terrorism plot.

rlb

I've never heard of a cave cricket until this thread. I just googled and it doesn't look any different than a regular cricket. You guys are wusses.

rlb

Also, I'm stopping at petsmart for a bag of crickets before the next group ride I attend so I can fling them at you guys and watch the panic. Actually this is a bad idea, not like I'm hard to lose on the trail.

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
Many years ago, when kids still did pranks at our school, someone bought a big-ass bag of crickets at the pet store and let them loose at a 4-way intersection of hallway.

Mayhem ensued. I was secretly pleased.

Last edited:

serviceguy

the collective noun for crickets is a crackle - but these are actually spiders, which is a clutter.

tyvek suit......http://a.co/eO9ikt9

I think they go also by camel spider but they're not actually spiders...not to be confused with the ones from the Middle East.

The tyvek suit was the first thing I bought as soon as I got out of the crawlspace.

And yes I am a big wuss!

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2014/09/03/asian-camel-crickets-bugging-tri-state-area-residents/

Coming the spring I plan to actually seal the crawlspace and install a dehumidifier along with a new drain pump for the A/C unit. And some lighting.

Top Bottom