Front Derailleur Interference with Rear Fender Install Help

adogg

Hi All,
I just got a fender set (SKS Bluemels) and see an interference between the front derailleur mount and the rear fender. I can either:
1. Dremel the section of the rear fender that interferes to make it fit. I don't like this much as water, dirt, etc. will end up seeping through.
2. Get a different front derailleur that doesn't stick out so far back to replace the Sram X7 that came stock on this bike (Giant Toughroad with 2 x 10 drivetrain)

I like having two front gears for riding in the hills so would prefer to not eliminate the front derailleur. Wonder if anyone else had this problem with rear fenders and how did you go about it

IMG_20170324_155924579a.jpg

Last edited:

Karate Monkey

The pictures are messed up for me (might be the site?), But the X7 is a dual pull model, right? Top or bottom?

Basically, a derailleur dedicated to top *or* bottom will be lower profile. SRAM's mountain derailleurs are chubby to begin with, so that's not helping you. Seek Shimano, with a dedicated pull.

Before you do that, though, you can try throwing a washer or two between the fender and the chainstay mounting point, if you don't need that much room (and you won't hit the tire with the fender).

adogg

The pictures are messed up for me (might be the site?), But the X7 is a dual pull model, right? Top or bottom?

Basically, a derailleur dedicated to top *or* bottom will be lower profile. SRAM's mountain derailleurs are chubby to begin with, so that's not helping you. Seek Shimano, with a dedicated pull.

Before you do that, though, you can try throwing a washer or two between the fender and the chainstay mounting point, if you don't need that much room (and you won't hit the tire with the fender).

I went to a LBS earlier to see if I could find a front derailleur (FD) in stock with a lower profile but no luck. So ended up using the dremel on the rear fender to make some room for the derailleur. You're correct about the X7 being a dual pull model. My cable is routed from the bottom and the FD is no longer dual pull thanks to dremel. I ended up with just one washer between the fender and chainstay mounting point. It actually looks decent and FD has full range of motion without any additional resistance. The only issue I'm having is that the clearance between the rear fender and tire is very small, perhaps few millimeters. It's not rubbing now, but maybe when going over bumps or when tires get dirty there might be some contact. We'll see tomorrow at HOH. Thanks for your input. The images are having trouble showing up on my end of MTBNJ as well, but hopefully the two below will come up.

IMG_20170324_230959285.jpg IMG_20170324_231025077.jpg

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Would make an alternate mount above the derailleur for the fender using an old tube. I can't find a pic at the moment but you wrap a presta valve tube around the seat tube with the valve facing back. Cut a small hole in the fender and slide it onto the presta valve using the locnut to hold it in place. Then you just zip tie the tube as far down as you can get it.

adogg

Would make an alternate mount above the derailleur for the fender using an old tube. I can't find a pic at the moment but you wrap a presta valve tube around the seat tube with the valve facing back. Cut a small hole in the fender and slide it onto the presta valve using the locnut to hold it in place. Then you just zip tie the tube as far down as you can get it.

Jim, thanks for the tip. It was nice meeting you today at HOH.

Top Bottom