From Zero Fitness to BWR - Comeback Story of 2020

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
20 minute intervals of sweet spot are not easy lol. I definitely fee like a 1:30 workout with 3 of them is a pretty good outdoor ride in terms of workout.

The Saturday workouts are usually pretty hard. I’d try not to skip those. Maybe swap a Tuesday or Thursday and do the scheduled Saturday workout then.

In my own experience, it helps to have a recovery shake afterwards on these harder ones.
And load up on the carbs before. Maybe it’s mental but eating low carb makes these workouts so much harder. Or maybe that’s just today’s science?

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
20 minute intervals of sweet spot are not easy lol. I definitely fee like a 1:30 workout with 3 of them is a pretty good outdoor ride in terms of workout.

The Saturday workouts are usually pretty hard. I’d try not to skip those. Maybe swap a Tuesday or Thursday and do the scheduled Saturday workout then.

In my own experience, it helps to have a recovery shake afterwards on these harder ones.
And load up on the carbs before. Maybe it’s mental but eating low carb makes these workouts so much harder. Or maybe that’s just today’s science?

Oh, I'm far from saying the sweet spot workouts are easy... But it may have a different training benefit compared to a much longer outdoor ride.

The TrainerRoad podcast has been talking a lot about fueling for the rides, upping the carbs. There is a big thread on their forum about people going all-in on high-carbs before/during the rides and the perceived exhaustion seems to drop along with ability to complete the workouts.

If you're going to do low-carb/fasted it seems to make sense to do the recovery rides (pettit etc) in the morning without fueling for fat adaptation.

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
I sorry i meant easy to follow like 3x20 at 100w, none of the crazy long ass workouts

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
The past month I've been doing fasted rides on the weekend (mostly because i dont wanna eat and jump on the bike for 3 hours) for the first 90m and things have gone well.

The weekend rides on the first week of the plan are (based on a 275w ftp at 153-155lbs)
(who comes up with these names anyway?

kaweah - saturday - 5x10 @ 264/270
geiger +2 - sunday - 5x12 @ 242/258

both are pretty rough, i don't think i've ever spent that much time in a workout in those zones. the time crunched plan i would do 3x10s or 3x12s at the 270-280 intensity, but 50 minutes, i think that may be rough indoors or outdoors!

Last edited:

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
and for more trainerroad (TR) geekiness, here is what the custom plan builder did for me:

Screen Shot 2020-04-13 at 1.23.36 PM.png

Based around these events:
June 14 - Woods Mountain MTB Race (34.5 miles, 5489ft)
July 11 - Tryon Gravel Gallop (62 miles, 5559ft, winning time 3:20)
Aug 15 - Bootlegger 60 (57 miles, 46100 ft, last year I finished 4th, 3:10)
Aug 30 - Belgian Waffle Ride (144 miles, 12,100ft, who the hell knows)

and if I still want to race bikes after that race:

Sept 5 - Greenwood Gravel Grinder (65 miles, 3,491ft, winning time 3:09)
Sept 12 - Pisgah Monster Cross (72 miles, 8736ft, winning time 4:25)
Oct 3 - Falling Creek Gravel (63 miles, 5800ft, first time event I think?)
Oct 25 - Saluda Roubaix (74 miles, 2564ft, new course)

Seems like a terrible idea to have your A race be right smack in the middle of the season, but here we are. I honestly have no idea what I will be able to pull off, but this is a rather "small" calendar of races for ya boy

Last edited:

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
and for more trainerroad (TR) geekiness, here is what the custom plan builder did for me:

View attachment 125433

Based around these events:
May 14 - Woods Mountain MTB Race (34.5 miles, 5489ft)
July 11 - Tryon Gravel Gallop (62 miles, 5559ft, winning time 3:20)
Aug 15 - Bootlegger 60 (57 miles, 46100 ft, last year I finished 4th, 3:10)
Aug 30 - Belgian Waffle Ride (144 miles, 12,100ft, who the hell knows)

and if I still want to race bikes after that race:

Sept 5 - Greenwood Gravel Grinder (65 miles, 3,491ft, winning time 3:09)
Sept 12 - Pisgah Monster Cross (72 miles, 8736ft, winning time 4:25)
Oct 3 - Falling Creek Gravel (63 miles, 5800ft, first time event I think?)
Oct 25 - Saluda Roubaix (74 miles, 2564ft, new course)

Seems like a terrible idea to have your A race be right smack in the middle of the season, but here we are. I honestly have no idea what I will be able to pull off, but this is a rather "small" calendar of races for ya boy
The May 15th race is still on?

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
kaweah - saturday - 5x10 @ 264/270

that was the first workout I actually bombed. I’ve done it a few times since and it’s one that I cover up the HR so I can’t tell how bad I’m dying.
Jumping right into sweet spot 2 isn’t going to be easy. You’ll be able to do it, but if you have to lower the intensity/backpedal a little to get through, do it.

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
The May 15th race is still on?
So far, I just recently noticed it on the calendar. Was talking with Dustin about this COVID thing, and he's rightfully paranoid, but some numbers in our area versus all yall:

mecklenburg county (charlotte proper): 954 cases, 11 deaths
my county: 117 cases, 1 death

compared to freaking middlesex county new jersey; 5693 cases, 193 deaths

that was the first workout I actually bombed. I’ve done it a few times since and it’s one that I cover up the HR so I can’t tell how bad I’m dying.
Jumping right into sweet spot 2 isn’t going to be easy. You’ll be able to do it, but if you have to lower the intensity/backpedal a little to get through, do it.

i can see how you bombed it, especially if i have any bump in my ftp number, this is only going to hurt more lol

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
So far, I just recently noticed it on the calendar. Was talking with Dustin about this COVID thing, and he's rightfully paranoid, but some numbers in our area versus all yall:

mecklenburg county (charlotte proper): 954 cases, 11 deaths
my county: 117 cases, 1 death

compared to freaking middlesex county new jersey; 5693 cases, 193 deaths

i can see how you bombed it, especially if i have any bump in my ftp number, this is only going to hurt more lol
I understand, but having a large group event...are your local short races happening now?

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
nope, nothing is happening now, the same "who knows" mentality is taking place, so they just schedule and hope it sticks

Top Bottom