From Zero Fitness to BWR - Comeback Story of 2020

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
tenor.gif

INTRODUCTION
I haven’t kept a running blog here since 2016. I guess part of it was the fact that being somewhere different, the content just hit different, or not at all. Which is expected, how can you relate?

Instead of rehashing all of 2017-2019,I had some of my best fitness last year. Instead of just JRAing around, I dove into the Time Crunched Cyclist book I bought a couple years back. I was able to spring up some good fitness from that. It also helps with the available time I have to give to getting fit. No one likes the process of getting fit, just being fit. From crits, short track, endurance mtb races and gravel events, I had some pretty damn good race results with less time on the bike then I have in the past. I was stoked.

Cross came and went. I had a awesome start to the season, crushed some local "pre season races" a nice Cat 3 podium, but I knew it wouldn't last. It was on fumes.
November 3rd, 2019, after my last scheduled cross race, I was completely burnt out. To be expected, obviously. Racing ST in January and keeping any sort of fitness that long is going to take its toll. I’ve gone down this road, but this time it was just different. I really was sick of it. I can honestly say I could give two shits about riding bikes. That lasted a month, I went a whole month not touching a bicycle. I sold my SSCX and ended up buying a motorcycle, which was fun to tinker with and learn with. That kind of took over a lot of my free time when I was solo. I enjoyed wrenching. I really thought, I wasn't going to give a crap about cycling anymore. I would just be a gear head again. I didn't get fat or anything, which was interesting.

First day home and the latest photo I have of it:
IMG_1156.jpg

image0.jpeg

As always, projects are never done. I learned a lot and still have some learning to do, but taking a non running bike for the price I sold my SSCX into this, with just some elbow grease and some cheap parts, it's been a blast.

December came and the weather started turning around. I was getting the itch to do something, but still, nothing was sparking excitement. I rode maybe once a week, if that. Then one warm sunny weekend, I jumped into our local “zones” ride. It’s pretty much an endurance ride with 3 sectors that have “race” sections. I knew I would have no business racing any of them, but I could sit in the slacker group and have a good ride, right? Wrong. I got dropped in 2 of the 3 and completely rode by myself, assessing my situation and the WTF am I doing.

It really was the rock bottom of my fitness. I was hoping it would spark me into starting to ride again, and it did.

Short track was two weeks away,
and I was totally against it. With some nudging from some friends, I decided to jump into the first one. The course is the same, so you can really compare apples to apples with lap times. I do the 45 minute open race (compare to Cat1?) instead of the expert 60 minute race. Last year in this category, I went OTF and completely crushed it. This year? 18th out of 27. A good 30 seconds slower on each lap. Eye opener, and it mostly just added fuel to the fire.

I did some workouts during the weeks that I did last year to get in shape, and I got faster. I felt better. I was being competitive. Not where I was, but more of the middle pack I was expecting.

I ended up crashing out of the 3rd race after just hanging off the back of the lead group. I pulled the plug, realizing this was a waste of time and only wanted a result I got what I wanted out of short track.

Said wreck

I had some sort of “fitness” to work with. What was I going to do? What was going to keep me motivated for 2020?

Mandi and I watched the BWR documentary or whatever it was, and it looked awesome. I always said, that was the kind of events I liked. Gear selection and WTF am I doing in the same thing. I would love to do that event, but it doesn’t exist over here, and I’m not rich enough to take a flight for a bike race.

AND THEN... something happened.
@jShort posts about the BWR race coming to the east coast, only to find out its in Asheville. Interests perked up. I floated it by the boss and decided, with my fitness the lowest it has been in a while, I’m going to dive into this head first. I signed up at 12:01 and I’m fully committed. I decide to crack open the Time Crunched Cyclist book again and figure out if I can squeeze some magic out of it. I followed the endurance plan last year and was juts off the podium on same local events. Granted they weren’t 140 miles long and I may have not done all of the hours on the weekends, but it offered some promise.

So here we are, on a Thursday, 2020. All caught up. 2 weeks into the CTS TCS plan.

I wanted to recap this year because I feel that a lot of people could be inspired by it. I know I will always have some residual fitness, and not really “couch to marathon” material, but it’s close enough. The target race is an event that people know about could relate to.

Here is my strava fitness/freshness recap from the last two years. It is the lowest it has ever been, since I used HR/Power.
Screen Shot 2020-02-20 at 12.49.08 PM.png

I have no idea what this will turn into. I’d like to recap every “ride/workout” I do, but it would be more training related. Not sure if that is cool anymore. Which I think people would enjoy, seeing the 4-5 hours of riding a week and what can come from it. Maybe I will always post a photo every day or something? I like adding the pressure of keeping a blog to the mix.

giphy.gif

Good save after that first post. Subscribed.

Question: Will you be upping your waffle consumption in preparation?

Is it really zero fitness? Are you not riding at all?
It was my longest stretch of not riding since, starting to ride, I think.

I heard they don't don't include Waffles during this ride, is that true?
tenor.gif

Is blogging dead?
we gonna find out, 13 posts in less than two hours. Remember when blog posts would take up the whole day on the forum? Pepperidge Farm does.

Where was the short track race and are there more? TY
Not sure if you know this, but I live in Charlotte now, confusing, I know. I have more videos of them, if that was what you were asking!
Question: Will you be upping your waffle consumption in preparation?
I am at zero waffles ATM, I guess you have a point, need moar

Unless you’re including power data in every workout, don’t take the Strava data too seriously.

Also, garmin has free workout plans you can look into. Log into garmin connect. They have more specific plans that may be better for you.

And how time crunched are you? How many hours a week are you training?

curious to see how "time crunched" endurance training pans out. BWR sounds fucking brutal from the description... like, whoever wrote that was feeling metal AF at the time.

Back
Top Bottom