Frenchtown to Trenton via rial trail, NJ side or PA side?

PA side runs away from the road most of the time so is a bit nicer in my opnion. The NJ side is wider but runs along 29 most of the way. I usualy start in Washington xing and go north in PA then cross to NJ for the way back. Looping is nice....

unless I start and stop in Lambertville for post ride refreshment.

PA from Morrisville (Trenton) to Washington Crossing is no question the nicer side.

North from there, it is a toss up, however one of the best spots on either side is a couple miles north of Washington Crossing, when you go under PA 32, there is a section where it is a steep drop off on the river side and higher off the water than most areas, it is a cool spot:
0ABDD5AA-7959-4747-9413-A683ABC5C82E.JPG

Also, PA side south of Washington Crossing:
IMG_1228.jpg

Nice pics.

On the PA side there is a bit of street riding and a long staircase when you hit New Hope.

Reactions: rlb
I might explore the PA side a bit more some time, but for now this is the plan (still need to tweak it a bit)

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/31140294

I'll also take some advice on getting through Trenton for anyone who's done that before, with the exception of the local roads and the D&R from Princeton to Bound Brook, most of this will be all brand new to me

Last edited:
I might explore the PA side a bit more some time, but for now this is the plan (still need to tweak it a bit)

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/31114490

I'll also take some advice on getting through Trenton for anyone who's done that before, with the exception of the local roads and the D&R from Princeton to Bound Brook, most of this will be all brand new to me

Not sure which direction you're heading, so I'm just assuming for the sake of sequencing that you're coming to Trenton from Princeton.

Edit: I looked at the cue sheet. Sorry, my directions are backwards.

You're going to want to ride on the other side of the canal from Carnegie Rd to Whitehead Rd. It's a little smoother.

The Whitehead Rd crossing is probably the scariest part of the whole section due to cars. Can be a busy rd, keep your eyes open.

You're doing it right, taking the greenway at North Willow and skipping that stretch of towpath.

There will probably be some people chillin on benches on the path sipping beverages on the northwest side of Hermitage Ave, but they've never bothered me.

Have a good ride!

Last edited:
Not sure which direction you're heading, so I'm just assuming for the sake of sequencing that you're coming to Trenton from Princeton.

Edit: I looked at the cue sheet. Sorry, my directions are backwards.

You're going to want to ride on the other side of the canal from Carnegie Rd to Whitehead Rd. It's a little smoother.

The Whitehead Rd crossing is probably the scariest part of the whole section due to cars. Can be a busy rd, keep your eyes open.

You're doing it right, taking the greenway at North Willow and skipping that stretch of towpath.

There will probably be some people chillin on benches on the path sipping beverages on the northwest side of Hermitage Ave, but they've never bothered me.

Have a good ride!

I'm doing the loop CCW (seems like you figured that out), and I'll adjust as you mentioned. Dudes drinking on a bench are no worries, you see enough of that in NB and along other spots on the canal too. I've spent too much time in Trenton (walked around the whole city with $15k worth of GPS equipment) and I made it out alive, I should be OK on a bike (I hope!). Thanks for the input.

I'm doing the loop CCW (seems like you figured that out), and I'll adjust as you mentioned. Dudes drinking on a bench are no worries, you see enough of that in NB and along other spots on the canal too. I've spent too much time in Trenton (walked around the whole city with $15k worth of GPS equipment) and I made it out alive, I should be OK on a bike (I hope!). Thanks for the input.
Yeah, the trenton section stinks, but there really isn't any good way around it. Just don't stop.

I ride through Trenton. Here is my advice.

When you get to Mulberry (Salvation Army building) and have to hook a left then a quick right... Don't do it. I will save you the possible unexpected anxiety. Get off the canal path stay straight on Mulberry then left on Nottingham then right on East Street and eventually you will cross your route. Or you can take it down another block for some cool pics of the Old Barracks.

Last edited:
I ride through Trenton. Here is my advice.

When you get to Mulberry (Salvation Army building) and have to hook a left then a quick right... Don't do it. I will save you the possible unexpected anxiety. Get off the canal path stay straight on Mulberry then left on Nottingham then right on East Street and eventually you will cross your route. Or you can take another block and take some cool pics of the Old Barracks,
Just a note, he is going the opposite direction.

But ironically, this is one of the few improved (paved) sections of the "towpath" (the canal is underground for awhile. But the tall overgrown grass, combined with the homeless people under the bridges, combined with the no where to go feeling is unsettling.

Back
Top Bottom