freewheel -> fixed

warcricket

Like a Jerk
anyone have experience welding a cog on to a freewheel? i've got access to welding tools, so thats not a problem. I just wanted to check before i f*ck something up...

ellbiddy

Freewheel or freehub? I'd have no idea how to covert a freehub body to a fixie besides welding the internals or something but with a freewheel you should be able to just unscrew it and screw on a fixed cog as the ratcheting in a freewheel is done in itself and add a lockring.

ellbiddy

That's a clever idea, the only problem being chain lines if you start extending the cog far enough out I could see that being a fairly serious point of failure, but you could ask one of those mechanical/civil engineering geeks that lurk.

warcricket

Like a Jerk
with a freewheel you should be able to just unscrew it and screw on a fixed cog as the ratcheting in a freewheel is done in itself and add a lockring.

i wonder if there's any value behind the fact that they call that set up a suicide hub:hmmm:

well according to sheldon brown there isn't; however, this is going on the bamboo bike which will be run brakeless, so i'd rather be sure that it wont budge.

we'll see....

ellbiddy

I'm secretly building my second carbon frameset to put your bamboo to shame ;) Cats out of the bag! :rofl:

AlexC

Ive tried welding my freewheel. it was not disastrous but it never worked right. Chain jumped off a lot. The best fix was a $40 cheapy hub

axcxnj

Hipster Keys
the freewheel might warp under the heat of welding, ive heard another way of locking a freewheel is to use JB weld...its a pretty cob job way of doing it..but its supposed to work....just dont do any big hills...

for a free hub, im prettysure that surly sells a product to fix it...check their site

warcricket

Like a Jerk
Ive tried welding my freewheel. it was not disastrous but it never worked right. Chain jumped off a lot. The best fix was a $40 cheapy hub

jumping:hmmm:, are you sure it was the welding and not just an uneven chainline? oh well, i ended up just using a bunch of red loctite on it, hopefully it sticks.

edit: or, like axcxnj said, the cog warped.

J-Dro

the freewheel might warp under the heat of welding, ive heard another way of locking a freewheel is to use JB weld...its a pretty cob job way of doing it..but its supposed to work....just dont do any big hills...

I have not had good experience with JB Weld on anything that moves or experiences stress. YMMV.

Top Bottom