Free Bike-Don't get too excited

RNG1

I have a Schwinn Frontier GS (with grip shift and rigid fork) that someone once gave me that has hardly ever been ridden and never ridden by me. Someone was moving and were going to toss it so I figured I would donate it to some place for people in need but it never happened as I never found a place. Now I am trying to sneak in a couple of new things into my garage and figured if I could get a few things out I could possibly get away without having to explain my obsession (again). I am pretty sure it is a medium and I will try to get around to wiping off the dust and post a photo. The reality check is that it would make a decent bike for someone to have around for someone who doesn't ride seriously but would certainly be better than having someone run along beside you because they have no bike!
If someone else wants to get in on cleaning out their garage generosity thing, I am looking for a really cheap medium full suspension frame (short travel)just to build up with parts that I have laying around to possibly use a couple of times this year on the rockier courses.

Frank

Sasquatch
Someone was moving and were going to toss it so I figured I would donate it to some place for people in need but it never happened as I never found a place.

Check out the Bike Church in the Asbury Park area. I think Kerry Martin from Brielle Cyclery is involved in that.

RNG1

That is a hike and a half for me as I am as far north and east in NJ as you can get (almost). I am sure there is some place more local I could bring it to. I had read an article about how a bike like this could actually allow someone a means to get to work and feed their family in some parts of the world and there was a guy who collects them and ships them overseas in containers but I can't find a link for it.

Frank

Sasquatch
Ahh...yeah I didn't look at the location. Sorry, I have not sufficiently caffeinated myself. I will call Kerry and see if there is an organization like that in your neck-o-da-woods.

tonyride

Don't piss off the red guy
If someone else wants to get in on cleaning out their garage generosity thing, I am looking for a really cheap medium full suspension frame (short travel)just to build up with parts that I have laying around to possibly use a couple of times this year on the rockier courses.
I have a 2001 Jamis Dakar Sport laying around that I can part with for cheap. The bike is complete but I can strip off the parts if you just want the frame or leave on what ever parts you're missing. I need to make some room so maybe my wife will let me get another bike as I have 4 already.

RNG1

I have a 2001 Jamis Dakar Sport laying around that I can part with for cheap. The bike is complete but I can strip off the parts if you just want the frame or leave on what ever parts you're missing. I need to make some room so maybe my wife will let me get another bike as I have 4 already.

That might work, the only thing I think I am going to need is the rear brake as I only have a front BB5 or something like that laying around. It may make sense to take both front and back from you so they are the same though. Let me know what you would want for just the frame (rear shock)and brakes, (if I end up taking the whole thing I will end up with even more stuff in my garage!)

tonyride

BTW I see there is no "medium" is yours a 17?
yes, it is a 17". My other bikes are Medium and they're about equal. I have avid mechanical brakes if that will do. Do you need the fork or no? I have a Marzucchi Minute 1:00 on it. It is externally adjustable from 110-130mm. PM me with your offer.

RNG1

No it was just that yesterday was a crazy day. I am still thinking this through. In your honest opinion how much life (if any) is left in the rear shock? Is it original? I really don't want to have to invest in what I will only use as a backup a couple of times this year. Thanks.

tonyride

No it was just that yesterday was a crazy day. I am still thinking this through. In your honest opinion how much life (if any) is left in the rear shock? Is it original? I really don't want to have to invest in what I will only use as a backup a couple of times this year. Thanks.
It is the original shock and it is coil sprung (steel coil spring) and not air sprung so there's no leakage issues. It feels fine to me so I have no reason to believe it won't last for a while. Mind you I have 4 bikes so I don't use that for all of my rides.

tonyride

Is it adjustable at all? Does it feel really squishy?
Yes, it is adjustable. There is a threaded stopper ring that is budded up against one end of the spring. You can adjust the spring tension by moving the stopper ring up and down the body of the shock.

RNG1

Give me a few days to get back to you on this, sorry for coming across wishy washy.