Fox Shock Rebuild?

TommyF

My rear shock needs to be rebuilt, I don't have all the special tools to take it apart. Is there anyplace local that can rebuild it? I've got a request in at Fox, curious what lead times will be.

knobbyhead

Next off the Island.
My rear shock needs to be rebuilt, I don't have all the special tools to take it apart. Is there anyplace local that can rebuild it? I've got a request in at Fox, curious what lead times will be.
They are easy to do with a small amount of tools. I'd say any bike shop could do it. Or bribe a local riding buddy with beer.

JonF

Fox will tell tell you the actual lead times in thier response email. If you are thinking about servicing it, do it before the late winter/early spring rush or else you'll be without a bike for 1 month or more.

mtn

My LBS sends them out to fox. I would clarify multiple times with a prospective shop that they actually work fox in house.

Karate Monkey

Just fyi, an air can service needs minimal/no special tools. A damper rebuild done to factory spec can be done at home, but you need to pressurize the IFP with a high-pressure shock pump/adaptor, unless you buy a conversion valve from Shockcraft.

Also, unless you really want to, don't mess with the damper rebuild at home.

And next to no local shops work on shock dampers, due to the cost of vacuum bleeding tools (necessary for good performance) or HP nitrogen fill setups ($$$). Also, the labor return is crap unless you spend all day doing it.

TommyF

Just fyi, an air can service needs minimal/no special tools. A damper rebuild done to factory spec can be done at home, but you need to pressurize the IFP with a high-pressure shock pump/adaptor, unless you buy a conversion valve from Shockcraft.

Also, unless you really want to, don't mess with the damper rebuild at home.

And next to no local shops work on shock dampers, due to the cost of vacuum bleeding tools (necessary for good performance) or HP nitrogen fill setups ($$$). Also, the labor return is crap unless you spend all day doing it.
Air can service isn't an issue for me, but the damper has failed. Squish squish, it's full of air from a failed seal. I can get the tool set for about 150 bucks, but for 25 extra bucks, somebody else does it for me.

Bisquick

Air can service isn't an issue for me, but the damper has failed. Squish squish, it's full of air from a failed seal. I can get the tool set for about 150 bucks, but for 25 extra bucks, somebody else does it for me.
What kind of tools comes in the kit? I have a cheap Rockshox RL, instead of buying all the tools I measured what I needed and had a friend 3d print the parts. Stuff like the vise blocks and IFP height tool. Took time, but cost of material to print was way lower.

Top Bottom