Fox F100 fork rebuild

Nathan Crisman

Hey guys,
I picked up a 2005 Specialized Epic Marathon this weekend ($1200-ebay) that seems to be in awesome shape. took it for a first ride last night, and the F100X fox fork seems to be pushing oil through the dust seals, more so on the right side.

I have worked on dirtbike forks from KYB and Showa before to change fork seals, but they are hydraulic forks not air spring forks. Im just not sure if this is a "normal" thing for the fox to weep or if the fork needs to be rebuilt. Ill post pics in a bit. A decent amount of oil came out, enough to run down the back of the bottom leg. The fork felt great on the trail though, seems to work fine.

If it needs a rebuild, is this something I can do myself and if so, where to get the seals? If not, where to send it?

Thanks.:D

Maurice

This is "normal" I go through a couple set of wipers each season. More so as the bushings in the fork wear out. The right side weeps more because it pushes oil all over the place in there.

They're easy to replace, but it's a bit messy.

Get the shop manual, it's online somewhere. Make sure you get the right model/year etc., as the oil quantities are slightly different. Then you need two types of oil: slick grease for seals and such, and actual suspension oil for the damper (right side), a little bit on the spring side for lubrication. Make sure you pick up a small seals bag also, it will contain a number of o-rings that are easily damaged when taking things apart.

The only difference with a coil fork is that you should let the air out before doing anything. Other than that it's cool.

Good luck

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Enduroforkseals.com is one place to get all the stuff.

Let me know when you rebuild it so I can watch for when I have to do mine. :)

-Steve

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
It is a fairly straight forward process. I would take the time to learn to do it because suspension forks need love a lot more often than people give them. Seals and oil need to be checked every few months to keep your fork at 100%. Struggle through it once or twice and pretty soon it'll be as easy as swapping tires:D

-Jim.

Nimrod

It is a fairly straight forward process. I would take the time to learn to do it because suspension forks need love a lot more often than people give them. Seals and oil need to be checked every few months to keep your fork at 100%. Struggle through it once or twice and pretty soon it'll be as easy as swapping tires:D

-Jim.

Your right, its just the time thing I don't have to redo the fork

antgold

this is not true in case of TALAS forks which are complex to service .
the vanilla are relatively simple built.

I got a TALAS for the third time it I can't dial to 140 mm- it is stuck on the 120 setting - any suggestion for LBS who can fix this once for all ?

MixMastaMM

Team Bulldog Rider
this is not true in case of TALAS forks which are complex to service .
the vanilla are relatively simple built.

I got a TALAS for the third time it I can't dial to 140 mm- it is stuck on the 120 setting - any suggestion for LBS who can fix this once for all ?

Campmor.

Nathan Crisman

-Jim.

Yeah, after some searching online, I found the manuals from fox to dissassemble (super easy and simple compared to dirtbike forks). Seems fox has an online store to get the seal set, main fluid, and the little pre-measured packet for the top cartridge.
$15 for the seal set
$15 for the fluids

Not to bad at all, Im going to order the parts from fox right away and rebuild it myself since it seems very simple. The bike looks way to clean and mint to have enough hours that the bushings would be worn out.

Thanks for the replys, Steve...this one will be easy to learn. We really need a wheel lacing/building lesson.:mad2:

Nathan Crisman

Oh, that Enduroforkseals.com does have some nifty stuff, the bushings sets, master o-ring kits, and a CC graduated syringe. Last time I redid my dirtbike fork I stole a measuring cup from the kitchen that was labeled in CC, that didn't work out so well with the wife.:getsome:

Maurice

Personal experience with enduro wipers: they trapped dirt, let crap in and eventually wore through the stanchion coating.

YMMV, but I'm sticking with the soft wipers.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
After a ride a sourlands a few weeks back, my right fork leg has been leaking oil, even after riding at places like 6 mile. The fork has less than 300 miles on it, should the seals where out this quickly?

Top Bottom