Found a deal, should I take it...?

Scotty878

Shop: Planet Bike
Shop Keep
Hey guys,

I wanted to know your opinion on my situation...

Ok, so....I've found a brand new '06 Kona Coiler Deluxe, which I am very interested in. Now first off, do you think this is a good bike? This is my first real mountain bike, and I plan to do pretty much everything with it, AM, FR, trails(not trials), so do you think the bike is worthy of the job?

Secondly, the bike is a small(15"), and I was wondering if you think it would fit me ok...? I'm about 5'10", 175 lbs, and with about a 30-31" inseam...So do you think it will work?

Last thing I can think of for now, is what do you think is a fair price to pay for the bike? I realize it's not that far out of the '06 season, but if you guys think I should get a certain deal, let me know!

Alright, well like I said, that's all I can think of for now, if I have any more questions I'll be sure to ask...

Thanks in advanced,
Scott.

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
i don't know anything about the bike, but i'm 5'10, have about your inseam and i wouldn't ride a 15"...unless the top tube lenght was real close to a 17". otherwise, i think the cockpit will be way crammed.

that said, i went with a 16" mary...but keeping with my top tube theory, the top tube is only about 1/2" less than the 18" so no real difference.

check the top tube lengths on a bunch of 17" bikes and if it's close you're probably ok. HTH

jake

Shaggz

A strong 7
that was my thought, as well. If it is through a shop, they might be able to swap out the stem for a longer one. If this is through a shop, I would think that you should have some room to negotiate the price.

J-Dro

Since this is your first real mountain bike, I strongly urge you to work with a local bike shop. The fit of the bike is super important and they will spend time with you trying out different sizes and options. You might pay a few bucks more but not necessarily since bike shops are dead this time of year and they often have leftover bikes from last year that they need to unload. They can also teach you about some basic maintenance that will keep your bike rolling smooooth.

Scotty878

Shop Keep
Yeah, I'll try to stick to some local shops...Can anybody recommend a few good ones in central Jersey?

So anyway, instead of starting a new thread...What bike would you recommend that I can keep a look out for, and that fits my criteria....Around $1500, AM, and preferably FS...?

Last edited:

walter

Fourth Party
$1500 should get you a pretty well spec'd fs, would get you a better hardtail, but will get a good fs. Like Jeff said, check all your area shops, you should be able to find someone who has some leftovers still. Just make sure you find a bike that fits you and that you like, dont be pressured into something just because you think its a good deal or just because they want to get rid of a bike.

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
pm jdog. he's the ower of halter's cycles. i'm sure he'll jump in, but a number of folks on the board like him a lot and a fair amount in the central NJ area do business with him.

ArmyOfNone

Id take a spin over to halters cycles. Jay is great to deal with. If hes not there ask for Chris. Both can deff point you in the right direction. Youll b very happy w/ them. I would agree with walter that if you should get a great setup for 1500. If you asked me id go with a hardtail. youll deff be able to get more for your buck and you will manage just fine.

IMO i dont think there are TOO many places you NEED a FS rig. But i have been hit in the head a few times also. that could affect my logic.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
Small is for Small people!

:D Hey Scott,

Bike manufacturers use the S,M,L system so that people don't buy the wrong size bike.

Figure that if you are a small(er) guy than a SMALL bike would make the most sense.

At 5'-10" I usually will ride a Large. I don't think of myself as a really big guy so I wouldn't pick a really big bike..ie XL or XXL.

$1500 can get you a real bike nowadays. That wasn't always the case.

There is a recent trend that you might notice where many of us have been leaving our fancy squishy full suspension bikes at home and riding singlespeed bikes instead.

Many of us even ride full rigid bikes!

I have a Cannondale RUSH 4 demo that you may borrow for a few days and ride on some local trails. I also have a 29" wheeled, full rigid Haro called the Mary as a demo. I know that sounds very unappealing but I promise that it is mega fun.

Anyway if you are in Central NJ you might come by the shop and shoot the shit..

Peas

J

Halters Cycles

732-329-9022

Scotty878

Shop Keep
Thanks for the responces everybody! I'm still bikeless, after you all said the bike was too small, I lost intrest...

I certainly have noticed the trend of going back to rigid SS setups, but being my first bike, I think I'll want something that will be a little easier to handle, and maybe help me progress faster. And then maybe if I decide I love the sport, invest in a SS "rig."

"J" where is your shop located? If you could give me directions, I'd really appreciate it. I'm located right by exit 109 of the GSP...If you could also give me the shop hours, that would help too. I'll try to stop by this weekend!

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
Plug this into Google or whatever:

4095 Route One Suite 38 Monmouth Junction New Jersey 08852

M-F 11-7
Sat 10-5
Sunday Closed due to bike rinding

Scotty878

Shop Keep
I'm finally going to be heading over to your shop today! Past weekends I couldn't make time, but I found some today, so see you later...

Top Bottom