Formula Speedlock Compatibility

Or maybe you should of just bought formula brake set and support your home land 😉
I’m quite happy with Shimano, Formula is actually based in the city next to where I am from, I have been curious about them since you started posting your positive impression about their brakes, but I wasn’t impressed by the quality on the speedlock adapter so far…we’ll see!

Before you lie awake at night wondering what insult I may have called you, it's a mistyped "he" from talking while typing.
Ah, I didn’t even think you were referring to me, I actually googled gw and it is an actual bicycles brand. I just build them, I do not display them (nor ride them).

Well, that was a waste of time and money... Formula changed their Speedlock setup to a smaller diameter plug in 2015, the hose I have is the new tupe while the banjo adapter for the caliper is the older type. Vendors should really provide that information, really. Same goes for Formula. I have locate 1 unit that would fit aa vaguely familiar bike shopin England, waiting to confirm their inventory before pulling the trigger...they can only ship to Italy though so that is yet another set back even if they have them...2022 off to a gret start so far. Kind of went looking for it really, but still...

Found the missing part (banjo adapter for mineral oil, v.2 speedlock) in two stores, one in Italy and one in the UK. Both are nightmares, the Italian one being confused by me wanting one adapter for mineral oil and one hose for DOT fluid (I provided the p/n but it didn’t seem enough) the UK instead being difficult with shipping ( I have to use a proxy in the UK because brexit) and the website won’t let me place order becss as use thdd Ed e-mail is registered but it won’t send me the password reset e-mail either…is the universe talking to me? Because I’m not listening…

Progress (I know you'll dying to know where this is at). The correct banjo adapter is now in the capable hands of my sister in law in England, she will ship it on Saturday. I'm also trying to get the Italian distributor to sell me an older version of the speedlock hose so I can use the adapter I already have, or sell it as a kit (it's DOT compatible so I'm not sure it the material will work with mineral oil).

Unpopular opinion: Brake lines should be externally routed on frames.
Not unpopular. It makes a ton of sense that they are routed outside the frame for practical reasons. At the same time, an internal routed brake line is protected from being accidentally damaged and frankly looks a ton better. I am trying to have the best of both world with this attempt at a modification, an easily serviceable brake setup that looks good and is safely tucked inside the frame.

I'll also argue that in most cases (such as the Fugitive I'm working with here) the potentially more vulnerable part of the line is the one closer to the caliper and still fully exposed in spite of the internal routing...

I wonder if we're going to see frames that have a recessed passage for rear brake, shifter and dropper post lines that is then protected by a cover that matches the frame tubing somehow.

For anybody even mildly interested this whole thing works. I di not install the new brakes on the bike, but I did install the Speedlock banjo adapter on the caliper, used Shimano compression nut, olive and insert to terminate the Formula Speedlock hose on the open end to use on the lever side, then assembled and bled the system. Seems to hold and not leak. Pictures to follow.

Back
Top Bottom