Formula Speedlock Compatibility

serviceguy

Any info on th Formula Speedlock system compatibility with Shimano/SRAM brake systems (both the brake lever housing and the caliper banjo fitting)? Looks like a neat system to work with for internal router brake lines... @mattybfat ?

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Pretty sure Formula abandon it, unless they brought it back. Initially was one of the reasons that drew me but in the end they stopped when I bought my Curas.

serviceguy

Pretty sure Formula abandon it, unless they brought it back. Initially was one of the reasons that drew me but in the end they stopped when I bought my Curas.
Nope, still very much among the viable options...https://www.rideformula.com/products/mtb-brakes/cura/

the shape of the valve kind of looks like the compression nut+olive+barb of a shimano settings but the compression nut+olive+barb from Formula not so much, it's tosser...may buy one set for the sake of the test, it's about $40, would you be interested to buy at pennies on the dollar n case it doesn't work with the Shimano brakes?

zm_20191009-054245.jpg

zm_20191009-054951.jpg

Attachments

• bg_20191009-054951.jpg
    bg_20191009-054951.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 0

jimvreeland

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
It's my Birthday!
There isn't an advantage running one on anything other than a Tri bike or Road bike with an integrated front end.

serviceguy

There isn't an advantage running one on anything other than a Tri bike or Road bike with an integrated front end.
...or any internally routed frame. Kidding aside, my Fugitive internal routing has a peculiar rear brake hose path that makes the bleeding a PIA, this would allow me to bleed the system off the bike and then install it back on, easy peasy.

jimvreeland

It's my Birthday!
Not exactly. That fitting is larger than the holes in the frame so you'd still need to install it after the hose is routed. Unless you have a frame with the rubber grommet things and then it might work.

serviceguy

Not exactly. That fitting is larger than the holes in the frame so you'd still need to install it after the hose is routed. Unless you have a frame with the rubber grommet things and then it might work.
The fitting goes on the brake lever, the hose side is the same diameter of the hose itself.

jimvreeland

It's my Birthday!
As an example of where this would be phenomenal. Both of the hydro hoses go through the upper headset bearing on my Tarmac so to replace it, I have to run 2 new hoses because they're isn't enough slack to cut the barb/olive and reattach. It's a $300 job for a $30 bearing that lasts 6 months. Yay bikes.

serviceguy

As an example of where this would be phenomenal. Both of the hydro hoses go through the upper headset bearing on my Tarmac so to replace it, I have to run 2 new hoses because they're isn't enough slack to cut the barb/olive and reattach. It's a $300 job for a $30 bearing that lasts 6 months. Yay bikes.

if you can find them...

Top Bottom