Forked river mountain

NikkyE

no, But oh! do tell...Love to give it a try...seems like it could be a rugged find...yet fun!:2guns:

Well, I don't ride out there but I have some history out there:
My old enduro club use to hold a national enduro out there. They built the whole trail system out in Bamber. Now dirtbikes are illegal out there do to an endangered tree frog.I rode with some older members out there a few times and it was unbelieveable. The trails were awesome. Singletrack is singletrack,dirtbike or mountian bike, it's still the same type of trail. I've raced enduros and hare scrambles from NY to Fla. I still say that the Forked river mountain had the best trails I've ever ridden. The problem is I have no idea where those trail are. I didn't then and I still don't now.
Old trails don't die,they just get overgrown. If no one is riding these trails, I'd say that the Forked river mountain is south jerseys' biggest untapped resource.

NikkyE

The area is easy to find and there is access from RT 532 and Lacey road. The problem is the area is over 500 acres. Finding the old singletrack is like finding a needle in a haystack. Thats why I was hoping to find someone who rode out there,someone that knew the area to be a guide.

FFT

Gay & Stuffy
I used to ride it on a dirtbike, we would drink a 12 pack and terrorize that whole area. I cant imagine it being any fun on a bicycle, that place has sand written all over it.

NikkyE

I used to ride it on a dirtbike, we would drink a 12 pack and terrorize that whole area. I cant imagine it being any fun on a bicycle, that place has sand written all over it.
I don't mean to be insulting but if you were out there drinking and riding, I would have to assume you rode just on the fireroads and in the sand pits. Unless you knew what you were looking for the trails were almost invisible. You are right though there is sand out there, it is south jersey. That area is not all sugar sand . There are alot of areas that have a mix of sand, yellow round stone(the stone for lanscaping) and I don't know what else but it gets like concrete.

CommandoStyle

I grew up in Lacey and also used to ride dirt bikes out in those fire trails.

Its been a very long time since I have been out there but I remember there being a ton of sand...there may be singletrack but you'd have a hell of a time gettin out to them cuz you'd have to go thru a few miles of sugar sand fire trails

as for the mountain, I remember it being more like a hill...I hope I am wrong about this cuz I would love to go down there and ride the many miles of trails that are out there

starflyr

i ride at wells mills alot and there is a little info on the forked river mt. in the parking lot bullitien board. i think it says the elevation is like 275 (above sea level) i know "big fukn mountain!!" and it has a great pic. of the peak, if you can make it out with all the snowpack on the peak

i like wells mills its alot o fun, and if i can get to the mt. from there id like to know.....

laterz

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
...and it has a great pic. of the peak, if you can make it out with all the snowpack on the peak

LOL! Well said. I think I read it's 178 feet or something. I've never heard such an errant use of the word "mountain".

NikkyE

Well I decided tonight that this winter, my truck and I will be heading out there to find some of these trails. I just hope something looks familiar to me after all these years. Once I find one or two the rest should flow together.

FFT

Gay & Stuffy
I don't mean to be insulting but if you were out there drinking and riding, I would have to assume you rode just on the fireroads and in the sand pits. Unless you knew what you were looking for the trails were almost invisible. You are right though there is sand out there, it is south jersey. That area is not all sugar sand . There are alot of areas that have a mix of sand, yellow round stone(the stone for lanscaping) and I don't know what else but it gets like concrete.

I dont want to insult you view of this hidden gem, but it would suck on a mountain bike. It's a tiny little crap hill out in the pine barrens, it's so small and insignificant that it would be impossible to miss these invisable trails. Please post pics and a ride report.

mike_243

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
LOL! Well said. I think I read it's 178 feet or something. I've never heard such an errant use of the word "mountain".

growing up in Silverton we used to hike behind OCC and there was a "mountain" in that section of woods also.
same thing just a big hill with a bunch of trails going up and down...
mind you we grew up at the shore..

Directions from GSP Exit 74:

Lacey Road west 2.7 miles

Turn Left and go 1.5 miles SW

Turn Left and go 476 ft

Turn Right and go 8/10 of a mile

Turn Right and go 2/10 of a mile

Turn Left and go 2/10 of a mile

Arrive at forked river mountain.

39 degrees 50'52.19" N by 74 degrees 17'21.27" W Elevation 180FT

Thats about where u want to go to be up on top of it. this is all according to google earth. If anyone still want to be adventurous and go look this should help a ton.

Well I know this thread is old, but I mountain bike out there all of the time. I start at the entrance right next to exit 74. take stone hill road all the way out. and as far as the peak. not much to see there. but if you take the trail due east for about a tenth of a mile you come to the view in my avatar to the left. it is an awesome view. the peak is 184. the view point is about 170. all of the trails due west of the peak are hard packed single track. and awesome. that may be the endure spot. but the whole little "mountain" range there is full off them up and down all three peaks. the ride out is not for the faint of heart. there are some heavy sand spots. but its not crazy difficult. I am beginner level mtb'er and ride a trek 820(not the best mtb). But I have made it out there many times and will continue to. Mountain biking is an adventure and not meant for people who don't want to do a little work to find a gem that does exist out there. My suggestion is to do a little hard work to get there. those single tracks to the west are awesome. a lot of fun for this 48 year old 215lb guy who treks it out there regularly. Go on an adventure and enjoy!!!!

Heres a better look

Attachments

• pick1.JPG
    pick1.JPG
    141.3 KB · Views: 485
the three peaks from Preacher's Hill due west northwest from FR Mountain. Great riding there too.

Attachments

• pick4.JPG
    pick4.JPG
    84.4 KB · Views: 1,079
Bloody Ridge due west of 539. view from west side of Preacher's Hill. Lots to see out by FR mountain and lots of great trails

Attachments

• pick6.JPG
    pick6.JPG
    60.5 KB · Views: 333
Top Bottom