fork, shock, and frame linkage maintenance?

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Finally got my fork+shock back from Fox East. Its been 6 weeks total from the day i kicked it in the mail to back in my hands. It's been a rough not having the Ibis in service with the beautiful weather lately but we back in business now.

It's why I try to do the maintenance during the winter. Or myself.

JonF

It's why I try to do the maintenance during the winter. Or myself.
I was trying to figure out a way to game the system by determining if subassembly replacement would be similarly priced to the service. For the fork, upgrading the entire damper from a Fit4 to a Grip2 to avoid breaking down the damper stack plus basic seals and fluids is acutally pretty close, especially if you consider the end result is ostensibly a better fork. However, for the shock, there's some things one just cannot even do like nitrogen fill the ifp for a total, deep rebuild.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I was trying to figure out a way to game the system by determining if subassembly replacement would be similarly priced to the service. For the fork, upgrading the entire damper from a Fit4 to a Grip2 to avoid breaking down the damper stack plus basic seals and fluids is acutally pretty close, especially if you consider the end result is ostensibly a better fork. However, for the shock, there's some things one just cannot even do like nitrogen fill the ifp for a total, deep rebuild.
Yeah. But depending on usage, it's not a big deal to do a general seal kit on the rear shock mid-season, and send it out for a full service over the winter.

Same with the fork. Lower service is pretty easy. Can easily do a lower service and hit most of the uppers with the exception of a full damper rebuild. If you're changing the oil and major seals on the damper you don't really need to get it fully serviced often.

Grip2 does seem to be easier to do than Fit4.

Top Bottom