Fork recommendation

SSmtbr

I'm looking in to getting back to squish on my 29er Specialized Crave SL (came stock as SS and rigid) after a few tough weeks of racing/riding at my typical riding spots up north - Ringwood, Jungle, Waway, Mooch. Rigid riding is a blast and love how light the Crave is in SS rigid mode, but leaves me beat up a few days later making it hard for riding more consecutive days.

I had a Reba and wasnt terribly impressed with the ride quality and reliability and gave it to a buddy so I'm looking at a few other manufacuters I can get relatively affordably. Looking at the 100-120mm range and mixed riding gears and SS so having a solid platform or remote lockout would be nice without losing the damper performance.

Considering:
MRP Loop Sl 100mm or Tr at 120mm
Manitou Marvel Pro 120mm
Magura TS8 R eLECT
Lauf (not super serious about this one)
Reba/SID (could try it again as I know my way around the chassis and internals)

Im around 220 plus gear so I'm thinking the SID is out as I race a handful of times a year and the lauf would be unique but not sure with my weight it'd be any better than my rigid/2.4'' ardent combo now.

Thanks in advance for your widsom!!!

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
just to add, riding multiple days at those parks you mentioned with a suspension fork would leave me beat up after consecutive days. obviously the fork will make the experience more enjoyable, but may still beat you up as much!

RickVaughn

The manitou is a good option but I can't stand how they look. Went with an X-Fusion Streat 100-140 adjustable travel (no lockout on mine) and I've been happy with it.

Edit: the Streat doesn't come in 29er so you'd be looking at the Trace or Slide

Last edited:

knobbyhead

Next off the Island.
If have a white brothers loop 120 and I really like it. This is basically a mrp. Super plush. super adjustable. However, that being said its my first really nice suspension fork. once it was broken in it was nice.

SSmtbr

Why no Fox?

I'd like to consider running one, but my shop employee purchase program doesn't extend to Fox so I'm stuck having to go through the used market or pay a significant cost increase compared to the others. If their performance is light years ahead then I'd consider paying the premium.

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed
One thing to consider whatever you choose: coming from rigid, you are probably used to really efficient climbing. Most modern forks don't truly "lock out", but they do better with a manual adjustment vs. the remote options. Going from a rigid carbon fork for three years to a suspension fork was a big adjustment for me in that way. I just always felt really inefficient climbing if the fork wasn't locked out. My current SID WC on my Sir9 never fully locks out and it drives me nuts sometimes - to race it, I usually crank the air pressure up to that of a 200 lb rider (I weight around 150 during race season) just to offset some of the bob. Some friends tell me I'm nuts to think it makes a difference and that may be true but it's a perception I can't shake when I ride it. In fact, I refused to put a remote lockout on my new Air9 (it has a Fox 32 SC) because I swear it locks out much better without it.

TonyC

Had a Manitou upgraded w/absolute+ damper and it was butter smooth, zero issues and wouldn't hesitate for a future fork. Was the 20mm axle and worked nice for a 200+lb rider.
I'm riding a Fox now 15mm axle and rides just as nice. Franky I'm a set and forget type of rider and has many adjustments.
Fwiw I didn't care for the Reba either but it was one of those old twisty Qr versions and liked the rigid fork better on that bike.
Good luck with your choice.

SSmtbr

@qclabrat I went rogue from my list and bought a Marzocchi 320 LR. Not the lightest 29er 100mm fork or the most tuneable with just a lockout/full open crown adjust compression knob (no low speed compression dial) and rebound adjust but for the price it was impossible to beat. They currently have them brand new and a t-shirt for $199 as a special sale (maybe clearing out final inventory? I was sold when I found out about the t-shirt). Fox bought them a few years back but still seem to be somewhat pushing the Marz forks into the market, even if it's just calling it a 2018 fork with 2016 internals and seems like there's still solid Fox support as they were quick to respond to my email questions.

I've put about 50 miles on it and love it so far. It took a bit to get use to the squishy feeling when SS climbing but I like the way the air spring feels as it will compress relatively easily the first 1/4 of travel for smaller bumps and then by about 1/2 travel it firms up progressively so SS mashing doesn't have the fork diving the full length of travel but on larger hits I can use up all the travel. They claim there's a remote lockout upgrade available but haven't found it yet (also haven't asked Fox so they may sell it direct) and the fork in lockout mode is very firm - firmer than the Reba for sure.

qclabrat

@qclabrat I went rogue from my list and bought a Marzocchi 320 LR. Not the lightest 29er 100mm fork or the most tuneable with just a lockout/full open crown adjust compression knob (no low speed compression dial) and rebound adjust but for the price it was impossible to beat. They currently have them brand new and a t-shirt for $199 as a special sale (maybe clearing out final inventory? I was sold when I found out about the t-shirt). Fox bought them a few years back but still seem to be somewhat pushing the Marz forks into the market, even if it's just calling it a 2018 fork with 2016 internals and seems like there's still solid Fox support as they were quick to respond to my email questions.

I've put about 50 miles on it and love it so far. It took a bit to get use to the squishy feeling when SS climbing but I like the way the air spring feels as it will compress relatively easily the first 1/4 of travel for smaller bumps and then by about 1/2 travel it firms up progressively so SS mashing doesn't have the fork diving the full length of travel but on larger hits I can use up all the travel. They claim there's a remote lockout upgrade available but haven't found it yet (also haven't asked Fox so they may sell it direct) and the fork in lockout mode is very firm - firmer than the Reba for sure.

yeah, I saw them and dismissed them for some reason, but will keep it in the mix
maybe because I thought they were only 100mm and I need 120mm, have you tried to change it to 120?

SSmtbr

yeah, I saw them and dismissed them for some reason, but will keep it in the mix
maybe because I thought they were only 100mm and I need 120mm, have you tried to change it to 120?

I haven't changed it to 120 because my Crave only officially takes up to 100mm. From the looks of the diagrams it seems like you just have to remove a spacer on the air spring...not sure how tedious that would be since they don't post any tech guides, just parts diagrams.

qclabrat

I haven't changed it to 120 because my Crave only officially takes up to 100mm. From the looks of the diagrams it seems like you just have to remove a spacer on the air spring...not sure how tedious that would be since they don't post any tech guides, just parts diagrams.
Just read up on the fork, unfortunately need to send in to make the change

SSmtbr

Just read up on the fork, unfortunately need to send in to make the change

As bad as the Reba was, I was impressed with the Rockshox manual on servicing the fork. Marz seems to be lacking detailed and consistent info.

After digging around I found a link to a Windwave UK service manual that tells you how to change travel on the Corsa and Marathon LR which appears to be an older but similar version of the 320: http://marzocchiworkshop.blogspot.com/2013/02/travel-adjust-marzocchi-forks-2010.html?m=1

If I have to pull it apart for servicing before you choose a fork I'll report back my findings (or if I get bored this winter). Maybe a call to Marz/Fox before purchasing and they would do the travel change before shipping?

Top Bottom