fork rebuild or replace

axcxnj

Hipster Keys
ive got an 07 Gary Fisher Piranha with a Manitou Axel Elite w/TPC Lockout front fork

i rode it to school a while back and my friend decided to mess with the lockout and proceeded to turn it until it stopped (full lockout) and then turn it more, at which point it jammed in that position. i took the dial apart and was able to get the shock back to normal operating mode with the lockout functioning, but it never felt quite the same, plus the dial became loose and on bumpy rides, it turns to the full locked position on its own.

should i try rebuilding this fork or should i go for something new.

id like to get something similar..maybe a slight upgrade, but definetly stay under 400 bucks

any suggestions?

thanks,

Aaron

MTB Aussie

ive got an 07 Gary Fisher Piranha with a Manitou Axel Elite w/TPC Lockout front fork

i rode it to school a while back and my friend decided to mess with the lockout and proceeded to turn it until it stopped (full lockout) and then turn it more, at which point it jammed in that position. i took the dial apart and was able to get the shock back to normal operating mode with the lockout functioning, but it never felt quite the same, plus the dial became loose and on bumpy rides, it turns to the full locked position on its own.

should i try rebuilding this fork or should i go for something new.

id like to get something similar..maybe a slight upgrade, but definetly stay under 400 bucks

any suggestions?

thanks,

Aaron
You could take it to a good shop who do fork rebuilds and plunk down $100, but I figure that hundo is better spent towards a better fork from Fox, Rock Shox or pretty much anyone other than Manitou. I am a little jaded since every Manitou I have come into contact with has ended up with major stiction. (Maybe it's just me though :) )

On the flip side, if you can find the manual on the web for your fork and you are reasonable good with mechanicals you could attempt to tear it down and rebuild it, cleaning and replacing the appropriate fluids as you go. This assumes it doesn't need seals and so forth due to leakage. If you haven't ridden the fork hard you might be OK on that front and just need a clean. You said it was an '07 right?

axcxnj

Hipster Keys
yeah, id have no problem doing the work myself, i work on all my cars myself so im ok with that...

im just wondering if its worth it...i guess ill stop by the LBC and see if they can get me a rebuild kit or reccomend a new fork

thanks

Top Bottom