Fork: Reba SL

P

Phatbiker

Manufacturer: SRAM
Product: Rock Shox Reba SL
How Long Used: about 6 monhts
Similar Products Used: marzocchi, fox, manitou
Overall Rating [1-10]: 10

Positive: Very light, holds air, easy to dial in.

Negative: none so far

Comments:
I have it on my single speed. Very light, smooth. Reliable. No trouble at all. I like it!

phat

Last edited by a moderator:

heythorp

seems to be a popular choice for a SS..

I think for all the reasons you mentioned plus the cost. I would love to get a Fox 80x for the SS but to buy an 800 dollar shock and put it on an 800 dollar bike is very difficult to justify.

I also have noticed that the manufacturers putting a front fork on their SS the reba is their choice.

lawndart

Shop: Campmor
Shop Keep
got one on the shop's Azure right now. Love it. easy to set up. Though got to say that the printed air pressure recomendations have a bit to be desired. Got a lot of trial and error sessions. I like my forks plush. Im pushing 211 and pressure in the + at 110 and - at 105. The print for my weight says it should be 160 in both + and -.

jbogner

NYCMTB: President
JORBA.ORG
Been riding mine on the 29er since early 2005 on the 80mm setting. Love it. Just took out the spacers to bring it up to 100mm for my new 29er fully. Looking forward to putting even more miles on it. And yes, the printed pressure recs are way, way off.

The only thing better would be a 29er Pike with thru axle. ;)

anrothar

entirely thrilled
i'm actually using higher than the printed recommended pressure. and mine is in the shop right now with what is apparently a common problem with the reba sl's. it's 'burping air from the positive to the negative chamber, so that i start a ride with 150 in the positive, 130 in the negative, and finish with 145 in the negative 125 in the positive....

ytc100

I had a problem with clicking from the crown which was repaired. Rode the repair for a season and it started clicking again. This time RockShox replaced the shock with a brand new upgraded version through Cycle Works.

This fork is light, very adjustable, and feels great on the trail. It's also fairly easy to work on. At my weight of 140lbs I run 80+ and 75-. The poploc feature is kind of neat and works well although I rarely use it.

J-Dro

I do find it odd that RockShox would go through the trouble of printing up a durable sticker with recommended air pressures that are totally off base. I don't know anyone who uses those numbers. I'm about 175# (180# with gear) and I find 100 psi + and 90 psi - works for me based on sag and overall plush feel. I use the pop-lock all the time. Pretty much every time I'm out of the saddle and climbing on my SS.

lawndart

Shop: Campmor
Shop Keep
i'm actually using higher than the printed recommended pressure. and mine is in the shop right now with what is apparently a common problem with the reba sl's. it's 'burping air from the positive to the negative chamber, so that i start a ride with 150 in the positive, 130 in the negative, and finish with 145 in the negative 125 in the positive....

would this 'burping' make the fork feel stiffer? I saying this cause when i leave it overnight and take it out the day or so i notice that it feels a bit stiffer. I've never really checked the POS and Neg to see if my pressures are the same.

ytc100

If the pressure in the neg. chamber is ending up higher than the pressure in the pos. chamber the fork will feel very stiff on smaller hits. I check my pressures every time I ride just to keep track of any changes that might start to occur.

I think the poploc makes perfect sense on an SS. I rarely stand on my full suss but when I do I hit the loc - I love the fact that you can adjust the blow off threshold (floodgate) to make the fork as stiff or plush as you want when it's locked-out.

jbogner

NYCMTB: President
JORBA.ORG
I found this thread very interesting regarding the +- air chamber pressures:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=174215

That thread makes my head hurt.

Bottom line- don't just add more air to the negative chamber if you want better small bump compliance, lower the air in both chambers. Just adding air to the negative chamber pushes the fork down in its travel and means the fork is responding to those small bumps further along in its progressive spring curve (meaning it ramps up quicker)... or at least I *think* that's what they're saying... ;)

anrothar

entirely thrilled
i checked the pressure before every ride. it makes an audible burp. and each time it does it, the travel disappears a bit more. air pressure from the positive chamber is bypassing the o-ring that seperates them and ending up in the negative chamber. that's why it's in the shop.

T

tlnj

got one on the shop's Azure right now. Love it. easy to set up. Though got to say that the printed air pressure recomendations have a bit to be desired. Got a lot of trial and error sessions. I like my forks plush. Im pushing 211 and pressure in the + at 110 and - at 105. The print for my weight says it should be 160 in both + and -.

I've got an Azure myself and thus the Reba. Have't totally gotten the hang of tuning it yet. If I want it plush, what kind of pressure should I put in? I weigh 180 lbs.

Thanks!

J-Dro

I've got an Azure myself and thus the Reba. Have't totally gotten the hang of tuning it yet. If I want it plush, what kind of pressure should I put in? I weigh 180 lbs.

Thanks!

I weigh just a bit less then you and I run +100psi and -90psi on my Reba. That should be a good place to start and see how it feels. Pos should always be slightly higher then neg.

T

tlnj

I weigh just a bit less then you and I run +100psi and -90psi on my Reba. That should be a good place to start and see how it feels. Pos should always be slightly higher then neg.

Thanks Jeff. I think I have it set just a bit higher than that now. I hestitated to go any lower just because it would be so far off from what they recommend. I'll lower it some more now.

Top Bottom