Fork Crown Race Removal Tool

moose35

I use a gasket scrapper instead of screw drivers. the sharp edge get in the tightest spot. Plus crown races are not a very tight press fit.

Also works great on automotive seals used on transmissions/engines/bearings.

If you think this won't grab the race neither will a bearing puller.

View attachment 135518View attachment 135517
I've used the blade from a door planer. Same profile as the gasket scraper. Worked it up enough to get a screwdriver in there.

tonyride

Don't piss off the red guy
I just used a screwdriver as some have suggested. I don't know if all forks have this but on the one I was removing the race from it had a little gap under the race just deep and wide enough to fit a small-ish screwdriver in. I used a screwdriver that'll fit in that gap and very gingerly tapped the screwdriver with a hammer until the race expanded enough where I can fit the tip if the screwdriver about 90° from where I started, tapped a bit more from there and just kept moving around until the race is off.

mtbiker87

I've used the same tool as @Mr.Moto with success, but another alternative is an interior door panel clip removal tool, left over from my mechanic days.

moose35

Do you use chisels to open paint cans too?

There needs to be an aspca for tools
No silly. Thats crazy talk. I obviously use the proper tools to open them.
20200728_113311.jpg

tonyride

Don't piss off the red guy
You can try to use a screwdriver if your fork has this notch. There's one of the other side too.
IMG_20200728_165412495.jpg

Top Bottom