For those using Q-rotors...

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
...if you haven't messed around with the different position for the rotor I encourage you to do so.

I've been running the Q-rotor on the SIR9 in the middle position. I liked it--it seemed to smooth out power delivery while SS'ing etc.

The other day I was cleaning everything on the SIR9 and remembered there is some adjustability there. After staring at it a bit, I realized that by moving the q-rotor to the *** position from the middle, the meat of the power stroke would occur while my legs were a little bit more extended. Hmmm. Maybe a way to ease the SS knee abuse? Possibly make it a little more comfortable while hammering out of the saddle? Theoretically it seems as though it would.

Well, tried it and I must say that the above seems true. I feel more comfortable and fluid while hammering out of the saddle. I'm running 1x9 right now, but I tried to spend most of my time in 33/20 (my SS gearing). My knees do feel good--though I only did 8-ish miles today albeit with a good amount of climbing.

When I got home I dug out the install instructions and sure enough they say move the rotor to positon 3 to be more comfortable mashing out of the saddle and position 1 to feel more comfortable mashing in the saddle. Makes sense I guess.

Anyway, if you haven't tried the other positions of your q-rotor...do it! In the end you may put it back in the middle, but you may find that your $80 investment can bring you a tad more value than you thought :)

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
I have played around with it and the settings make a huge difference.

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
I have played around with it and the settings make a huge difference.

Indeed. It is tough to say after a short ride, but this may be the real value add of these chainrings for me.

In fact, it has me thinkin' about a set for the Torelli now.

Top Bottom