Fools Gold 100 Race Report

RNG1

Thanks man, particularly the last comment. I am sure by the next Mohican I will have forgotten most of this past Sunday...also time of year is different so hopefully it won't be a million degrees. My goal would be exactly what you said, to simply finish. Although I am sure there is a time cutoff...

6thElement

They're basically 6, 17 mile races between the start, aid stations and finish. My day is broken into 30 minute chunks when I have to remember to eat something :D

ryderX

I set my Garmin 305 up to sound an alarm at every hour and every 10 miles. It's pretty easy to lose track of time when your riding these things. I really need to concentrate on eating and drinking. There comes a point in every 100 miler when the thought of eating another frigin cliff shot or sucking down another mouthful of warm fluid makes me wanna hurl, but you need to do it. One minute your feeling like a million dollars and the next your hoping for a race ending mechanical.
As Ryan has said in the past, " look at it as 5 20 mile rides".

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
They're basically 6, 17 mile races between the start, aid stations and finish. My day is broken into 30 minute chunks when I have to remember to eat something :D

For Mohican is it 4, 25 mile laps, with an aid station halfway?

Also, on the aid stations, do they run out of water or are they pretty good with that? It would kinda blow my race up if I got to the aid station at mile 62.5 and had to go that next 12.5 miles back with nothing. I think I would start vomiting rainbows.

I may be erring on the side of caution, but just thinking about a single lap of the DH40 without water makes my brain hurt.

ryderX

Another thing to keep in mind is what to carry with you. Ryan and I have both seen people with giant camebacs stuffed with 10 lbs of crap. Keep it simple and lite weight. If you think you need to carry rain gear, tires, tubes, full tool kits with spare spokes, etc. make sure you can ride with that much weight on your lower back for 10-12 hours. Also make your aid station stops as brief as possible, every time you stop and chat and cool down your body starts to rebel in many ugly ways. See you in Shenadoah

ryderX

For Mohican is it 4, 25 mile laps, with an aid station halfway?

Also, on the aid stations, do they run out of water or are they pretty good with that? It would kinda blow my race up if I got to the aid station at mile 62.5 and had to go that next 12.5 miles back with nothing. I think I would start vomiting rainbows.

I may be erring on the side of caution, but just thinking about a single lap of the DH40 without water makes my brain hurt.

Norm,
I've done 15 of these and don't think I've ever seen them run out of the basics. The water you get maybe a bit lukewarm or chalky and the P&J sandwich maybe a bit stale though the promoters always seem to rise to the occassion. I normally carry 3 water bottles, 2 on the bike and 1 in my jersey, which is my throw away bottle. Try as I may, the backpack thing drives me crazy for anything other than a night ride.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Norm,
I've done 15 of these and don't think I've ever seen them run out of the basics. The water you get maybe a bit lukewarm or chalky and the P&J sandwich maybe a bit stale though the promoters always seem to rise to the occassion. I normally carry 3 water bottles, 2 on the bike and 1 in my jersey, which is my throw away bottle. Try as I may, the backpack thing drives me crazy for anything other than a night ride.

Thanks, that's good to hear. I've done the weigh-yourself-after-a-mid-summer ride and the math comes out to something like 40 ounces an hour, which is hard to maintain. Admittedly, this is in the blazing heat but the W101 last year was pretty hot if I remember. It would make sense for me to start with one that's not in mid-August.

I'm a minimalist as well. Calories and water and the small pack. I've also gotten to the point that I know if the idea of reaching down and grabbing my bottle seems too difficult, I need to stop and drink half of it or suffer double in about 20 minutes.

I'm curious for sure. I need to string together one of those Allamuchy Triple Loops this fall. Everything is so much easier in the fall with the nice cool temps. :)

Ron

Norm,

The biggest thing you need to do is tell yourself that you can finish the race. If you start the race, or your training, telling yourself that you can not finish. We all know the outcome. For the first race you just have to tell yourself that it is a full day of pain for a lifetime of glory. Once you get over the psychological portion of it, then it is just pedaling and pedaling. Oh yeah, some eating and drinking.

Top Bottom