Flutter Noise from Rear Hub

monteverest

Just received Cane Creek Terros Disk wheels and placed them on my CADA prophet. So happy until I heard a fluttering noise from the rear hub. The noise is not constant and seems to occur only intermittently and very briefly, usually while coasting after quick, heavy pedaling. A call to Cane Creek yielded no information about problems with hubs, axles, etc., only "send it to us for review" (no thanks - I just took the trouble of switching cassettes, tweeking trueness, and declining a great deal on another set of wheels - these wheels are returned to seller as unsatisfactory if the problem persists).

Does any have any ideas on what may be wrong? The sound is almost certainly coming from the rear hub. Could it be the axle or skewers? Thanks a million for responding.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
just look carefully at everything while the wheel is spinning(on a stand, or seat over a rail/branch). look behind the cassete. quadruple check to make sure the wheel is all the way in the dropouts. if you can't find anything wrong with it, take it to a bike shop.

monteverest

Return to Seller

The noise is getting worse with each ride. The noise is not loud but continues longer and is now constant after hard pedaling. On a separate note, the wheel holds corners worse than my cheap mavic 117s. The rear wheel squirrels even on payment. What a disappointment on such highly regarded wheels. Cane Creek, like Pearl Izumi, has joined my blackout list.

CycleBoy

Sussex Bike and Sport
Shop Keep
do me a favor when you are by the bike and just tug on the rear cassette a little bit and see if there is any play. Also if you have a cassette tool, make sure it's tight, they can loosen up on ya and cause some noise. If there is play in it, though, when you take a look, you might need a little spacer behind the cassette. It's worth a shot.

monteverest

Cassette seems normal...

I took a look at the cassette and it seems normal, no play at all. I don't know enough about hubs otherwise I'd open it to inspect. The sound has gotten louder and more frequent with each ride.

The seller has a really good return policy so the wheels are going back...wonder if anyone else had this problem from Cane Creek? They have a stellar reputation so this must be an isolated mistake. Not sure I'll try Cane Creek again but a lot of riders have great things to say about CC so I'll see. Thanks all for responding.

CycleBoy

Sussex Bike and Sport
Shop Keep
Cane Creek wheels are definitely sweet. They are very light wheels. Unfortunately we don't get a lot of them in so I don't have any experience, but you would think the hubs would be high quality considering the price of them.

Top Bottom