Fixie is here...

xc62701

My teammate wanted to get rid of some clutter so he had his Motobecane fixed gear up for sale. I will be enjoying this new toy soon as I just assembled it and will be tooling around on it for the next couple days. It's got a flip flop hub and front and rear brakes - for now. I'd like to be able to have it brakeless. I can't wait. I've always wanted to play with one...

Spylab

I know that brakeless is the 'cool' thing to do these days, but relying solely on backpressure is really damaging to your knees. I ride with a front brake, and use it when I need to (especially avoiding traffic that seemingly couldn't care if it hit me or not).

xc62701

Yea I'm sure it'll be a while before I dismantle any brakes. It'll all depend on how comfortable I feel on it. I won't be doing any hilly rides for a while for sure.

ArmyOfNone

They sure are fun! I have only had mine for a few weeks. It takes a couple of rides to get used to not being able to coast. And then there is a whole host more of fun that comes with it. Enjoy!

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
i can hopefully post some experience soon, just picked up a old ass shwinn bike, hopefully i dont buy anything that doesnt work for it lol

axcxnj

Hipster Keys
ive got the motobecane messenger, its a great bike for the price. enjoy it and post up some pictures

Glancing Aft

I agree with Spylab, leave the front break on. You're just asking for trouble either to your knees or in an accident if you take it off. Also unless you plan on racing it the weight difference is nothing...

keithsly

:DLeave both brakes on is my advice.....

I've been riding a fixed gear for 3 years now and you will find great ways to ride it if you really get into it... I have a flip flop hub (14 tooth) with cogs on both sides (one free and one fixed) on my VD Country Bob, but I also have 3 different front rings depending on what I'm doing with the bike.... 42 x 17 is great all-round gearing and if you put some nice 700x25 on there (like armadillos) you can take it anywere....

Put some CROSS tires on it and go to 6 Mile run.... Ride Canal Path, or just go on a training ride .... If you ever ride with guys with gears and your on ur fixed you will need brakes....

Have fun with it !!

xc62701

I took it for my first real ride last night and I'll be keeping the brakes on. It was definitely manageable but some of the downhills I was doing were a little sketchy. I was probably doing a cadence of 160 and my hip started to cramp so I had to lay on the brakes and slow it down a bit. It's really fun though. It surely reminds you when you stop pedaling ;)

bikeboy566

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
Fixxies are great fun and great training, most def. on keeping the brakes on NJ roads arent the most friendly. Have fun with it.

sixseven

check out http://bikesnobnyc.blogspot.com/ if you haven't already.
The guy loves/hates bike culture and has some hilarious commentary on the fixed gear scene. One of those blogs that is actually consistent with its humor. Once in a while he skewers the MTB scene and does it well. Very very funny.

Spylab

Here's my bike. Nothing crazy, just gets me around during the week. If you see me around the Roxbury area, please avoid running me over. Thank you.

MikeSalkewicz-1.jpg

MikeSalkewicz-3.jpg

keithsly

Nice Frame very classic looking ... Seat is pointing pretty high do you have numb boys when your done riding ??

The blog site is good one I have had it in my favorites and he is great ....

But fixed gear sites I like this one better very cool new stuff.....

http://www.fixedgearfever.com/

:getsome:

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
i need to start ordering parts for mine, but i dont know where to start :(
can i just buy a SS conversion for my road bike, like i did my mtn bike?

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
i need to start ordering parts for mine, but i dont know where to start :(
can i just buy a SS conversion for my road bike, like i did my mtn bike?
You can't use a chain tensioner for fixed. You can buy a gadget Surly sells called "The Fixxer" to convert a conventional cassette hub to fixed, but that still doesn't solve the chain tension issue that exists if your frame has vertical dropouts. If it's an older road frame and has horizontal or (more likely) semi-horizontal dropouts, then you should be able to achieve chain tension with no other mods needed.

If you have vertical dropouts and really want to build a fixed gear/SS with that frame, building a new rear wheel with an ENO hub is the best way to go. ArmyofNone can tell you about his setup. You don't need to imitate the pink doodads he has on his, though.:p

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
i havent even looked at the dropouts yet :p even if its just a single speed, i could live with that for now :)

ArmyOfNone

If you have vertical dropouts and really want to build a fixed gear/SS with that frame, building a new rear wheel with an ENO hub is the best way to go. ArmyofNone can tell you about his setup. You don't need to imitate the pink doodads he has on his, though.:p

The ENO is the way to go if you have vertical drops. But i think your ok and dont need to worry if i remember from your pics.

And pink rules!:getsome:

Spylab

Nice Frame very classic looking ... Seat is pointing pretty high do you have numb boys when your done riding ??

I didn't notice the seat angle when I took the pics, but definitely caught that one when I started riding! Seat is leveled out to a non-sodomizing angle now.

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
i noticed you've been riding to work a few days mike...i've seen the bike sitting out back. good for you!

Top Bottom