Fixie build

I found a complete rear wheel for a good price, its a 700c though. Will it still fit on my bike that has 26''?

I found a complete rear wheel for a good price, its a 700c though. Will it still fit on my bike that has 26''?

noppers. you sure it's a 26" wheel? Something seems weird that it's an 'old' ten speed with 26" wheels :confused:

Picture maybe? Bike description? :)

look at my avitar, its a murry 10speed with 26in wheels.

ah, gotcha.

it's probably easier to find a cheap wheel with a flip-flop hub, which many have stated already. I wouldn't buy a new hub if this is your first wheel build. If I were you, I'd get a new wheel, buy a spoke wrench, and play with your old wheel.

Learning how to true/build bike wheels is a very valuable talent. :)

your gonna have a tough time finding a prebuilt 26" fixed wheel. building up your own wheel will be on the pricey side as you have to factor in the cost of spokes (~$1 each), a hub, and a truing stand/labor.

if your really tight on cash, consider running a suicide hub. despite its name, sheldon brown regards it as relatively safe. though if you do, i wouldn't recommend brakeless. my bamboo bike is set up like this, and i haven't had problems yet. basically, you remove the freewheel off your rear hub and rotafix on a track cog using oodles of red locktite.

i've had 700c wheels on my 26er. just have to ride brakeless unless you have discs or if you get those mavic adapters that move your canti's/v's to the right spot for the 700c rim.

tires

Can anyone recommend a tire? mainly for road and path,
26x1.75

I was looking at a michelin country rock, but it only goes up to 58psi since its mainly going to be on the road I was thinking about a tire around 75psi??

Good!, I got a 14t cog. I just sanded the frame down, getting ready to paint. I put body-fill on some of the holes and welds on the frame. I still need bars, grips, seatpost, tires, maybe petals, and paint. I decided to do EVERYTHING blue and yellow:D

i've had 700c wheels on my 26er.

Grilled Cheese Man is right. 700C wheels will totally work in any 26inch frame, you just loose the brakes. I used to have a 700c disc wheelset that I'd throw on my MTB to commute before I owned a road bike.

-Jim.

How can I measure the size of my seatpost to get a new one?

You use calipers like this.

15778.jpg

Or...you go to the shop and try all the seat posts until one fits. ;)

Back
Top Bottom