Five Boro Bike Tour of NYC registrations starts

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
you'll run out of steam a lot faster on an fs. fixie fo sho.

I didn't run out of steam on my FS with knobbies. Neither did most other people. It's 40+ miles but it's at an EASY pace. The bridges are really no big deal. The early ones you basically have to slowly walk because they become huge traffic jams with everyone walking their bikes slowly. The Verrazanno looks scary hard but it's such a long steady slight incline it's almost like riding on flat ground.

MTB slicks can be purchased for $8 a tire from Performance.

There's TONS of out of shape people doing this ride on craptastic bikes from Wal-Mart that look unsafe to ride. Tons of 60+ year olds and children. It's really not a big deal at all. If you're the kind of person who has an account on a MTB board, you'll be ahead of 60% of the people by default.

Like I mentioned earlier, I'd rather have a comfortable MTB than road bike. There's no advantage to having a "fast" bike. You're not supposed to go over 15mph anyway and most of the time there's so many people you don't want to go fast anyway. My mistake last year was going too fast and missing out on the "ride".

-Steve in NJ

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I did this ride in 2000. I enjoyed it but it was a bit of a mess to do it again without something like beer involved. My suggestion is to park in Staten Island and ferry over to the start of the race. Then you don't need to partake in the Ferry Madness after.

The Verrazanno looks scary hard but it's such a long steady slight incline it's almost like riding on flat ground.

It's a good enough incline, but for me I was so excited to be riding on this bridge it could have been a 12% grade and I doubt I would have noticed it. It's not every day that you get to ride your bike on the lower deck of a big honking bridge like that. Very cool and unique experience.

Mare

Input needed from those who have done this in the past:

I have 2 bikes: A FS Giant Reign with soft and expensive tires, and a Surly Steamroller fixed gear. No effort is needed to push the fixie way faster than the Giant will ever go. I can scrape together $50 for registration but don't want to spend any money on modifying either bike for a one-shot deal. if I take the Giant, the ride will be comfier overall but I'll probably shred $120 worth of tires and it will take more effort to keep that bike in motion. If I take the fixie, I'm afraid I'll run out of steam over the course of 40+ miles, especially with bridges here and there.

Which would you take?

I'd bring the bike with the harder tires, as to not destroy them. The ride isn't demanding because you spend a good amount of time walking the bridges since everyone comes to a hault when there is the slightest incline.

And yes, another vote for parking in SI and taking the ferry over. I did that in the past and it worked out well. Well, except for when they towed my car, but that's not important, right? They decided, after we all parked, to put no parking signs on additional meters. They just towed it and I had to pick it up... no tickets or fines.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
If anyone wants, I'll donate a set of cruiser style 26X1.95 tires to anyone who's too scared to destroy their tires. :)

-Steve

Cyclopath

Shop Owner / Employee
Shop Keep
See....Satan is nice. :)

pez - that's the operative word here.

Don't kid yourself, Mare, Satan is very, very evil.
Satanpez is just the candy-coated version.
You know, the one that tilts his head back and spits sugar cubes at you...:rofl:

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'll be the one at Bike NY laughing maniacally as I come out of nowhere to push you off your bike!

Muauahahahah!

-Steve

RacerChick

Hudson Valley Girl
Input needed from those who have done this in the past:

I have 2 bikes: A FS Giant Reign with soft and expensive tires, and a Surly Steamroller fixed gear. No effort is needed to push the fixie way faster than the Giant will ever go. I can scrape together $50 for registration but don't want to spend any money on modifying either bike for a one-shot deal. if I take the Giant, the ride will be comfier overall but I'll probably shred $120 worth of tires and it will take more effort to keep that bike in motion. If I take the fixie, I'm afraid I'll run out of steam over the course of 40+ miles, especially with bridges here and there.

Which would you take?

The first year I rode in the Bike NY I started on the front of the 30,000 plus field of riders. The main reason was I didn't want to deal with all the traffic jams. I simply went to the front of the tour via a few side streets. The average speed at the front was somewhere around 18 mph for the 46 plus mile ride. Two years ago when I was one of the Tour Marshalls and after my "duty" was complete I just wanted to get to the finish line. I was amazed at all the different type of bikes that people were riding. In my opinion ride whatever you want. The speeds are much slower than they were at the front. Somewhere in the 8 -14 mph range. Bike choice should be something that you can handle well. There were MANY riders who had no clue in terms of bike handling skills moving over without looking back. Senior citizens as well as children and even a few inline skaters (which were not allowed) were basically everywhere. Many riders would walk the inclines. There were highway strecthes where a road bike would work well. My advice would be to ride possibly a cyclocross bike with road tires or a mountain bike with a smooth tread and higher air pressure. Have enough tubes and a multi tool. Remember that your in NYC so it might be a good idea to leave the expensive bike at home. Hope that helps

RC ... :)

Top Bottom