Fit4 Compared to Grip2

Dingo

That is not entirely accurate. My 36 is a 2019 Grip 2. I believe Grip was the spec prior to FIT4, never seen Grip1. The earlier Grip2 did not have VVC though, which I had added when the fork was serviced at Fox.
View attachment 147321
I was referring to the 34 fork, 2021 is the first year for G2

smw

Suspension mod thread!!!

I had a love/hate relationship with the 2016 fox 34 factory fit4 that was spec'ed on my Giant Trance. I just could not dial low speed harshness out of the fork. I did some research here and elsewhere and updated to the newer generation float air shaft which adds some suppleness as well as the luftkappe. That provided an improvement in feel, but signs pointed that the fit 4 damper had limitations that limited the tuneabilty. I called Fox and they confirmed Grip2 was backwards compatible with my generation fork-so I picked one up and installed it myself.

Having the ability to dial low and high speed compression and rebound elevates the fork's handling everywhere. Yes, it does require a concerted effort to dial the circuits, but the baselines settings are pretty good.

BTW-my luftkappe is for sale if anyone is jonesing to dial in float 34 prior generation fork.
-Scott

Dingo

Starting with wide open compression and lsr 7, hsr 6
Thats where mine is set. What pressure do you have, and what do you use to measure. I'm at 75 psi using fox digital. That 3 weight levels lower than what fox recommends for a 210 pound rider. It's still no where near using full travel, even slamming into stuff. No tokens either. I may remove the luftkappe and use the EVOL piston. With the fit 4, it was using almost all the travel. Almost regret buying grip, because there is not much difference for the expense.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Thats where mine is set. What pressure do you have, and what do you use to measure. I'm at 75 psi using fox digital. That 3 weight levels lower than what fox recommends for a 210 pound rider. It's still no where near using full travel, even slamming into stuff. No tokens either. I may remove the luftkappe and use the EVOL piston. With the fit 4, it was using almost all the travel. Almost regret buying grip, because there is not much difference for the expense.
I am somewhere around 170, 53 psi, I am one click faster in each rebound setting because I typically like a faster rebound. I also have the mrp cartridge at 7 clicks.

Dingo

53 is what fox recommends for a 130 pound rider. Pivot mentions using less than fox's chart for rider weight.

Are you getting full travel?

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
53 is what fox recommends for a 130 pound rider. Pivot mentions using less than fox's chart for rider weight.

Are you getting full travel?
I was with my fit4. Will see where it lands with the grip 2. Right now at that pressure I am at 30mm sag, 140 travel.

I am looking at the chart now. Not sure what is going on but I have had it around 51 forever. The mrp setting I have is middle of the road progression.

Dingo

I'm at 30mm sag measured the fox way, 140 travel. Sag is tricky to measure, in the sense of does it matter what the number is. That guy on you tube puts all his weight on the bars, but he recomends a higher %. The lufftkappe guy does not even use it as a set up, so I if I used his way it would be 42mm to get full travel. Way too far into the travel. Thats why i'm going to remove his piston and try it stock. Hope the small bump sensitivity is the same. Darn fork was really good before the grip . UGH

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I'm at 30mm sag measured the fox way, 140 travel. Sag is tricky to measure, in the sense of does it matter what the number is. That guy on you tube puts all his weight on the bars, but he recomends a higher %. The lufftkappe guy does not even use it as a set up, so I if I used his way it would be 42mm to get full travel. Way too far into the travel. Thats why i'm going to remove his piston and try it stock. Hope the small bump sensitivity is the same. Darn fork was really good before the grip . UGH
Wait, I thought grip was
Supposed to be better!

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
First ride today, temp was right around 32 (obviously not the best temp to be setting up at).
One note, I did so the air shaft service when I installed the Grip2 cartridge., so some of the following could be affecting the following:

First impressions, wow, what a difference. I didn't want to take the time to mess with settings today, but I did take mental notes on handling. At nesh, there are a number of choppy root and rock sections and the initial settings for rebound seemed pretty damn good, 7 lsr, 6 hsr. The fork was smoothing out the chop like it never did before. And the feaster I went, the better it was. I hit a couple of the sections faster than normal and it felt awesome. I did end up going on click faster on lsr and i will probably go one more. The fork wasn't popping off of stuff I wanted to "jump" off of and that one click helped. The small bump sensitivity was excellent, however this could be due to the air shaft service, but some small, harsh hits that the fit4 would "bounce" off of, were just smoothed out today.

There are two small drops here, one is just a roll off into a transition, and hitting that I didn't get any bounce back from the rebound. The second one I hit was a 10' gap with a 3' drop into a transition. Perfect there too.

I used almost all of the travel once.

I didn't mess with compression today, but I did noticed some brake dive and a bit of dive in corners. Will move on to that eventually.

Last edited:

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed
Did @1speed steal your phone? TMI
I understand at your age, you have limited metal capacity, hence, suspension settings probably don’t make the cut.

Leave Mitch alone. The world is a very cold, scary place to the elderly. He doesn't need your words. He just needs a can of Ensure, a warm quilt and to be left alone to watch his programs, dammit.

sundaydoug

I didn't mess with compression today, but I did noticed some brake dive and a bit of dive in corners. Will move on to that eventually.

Adding LSC damping should help tune out that brake dive. Other than that it sounds like your fork is feeling pretty darn good. The fact that it's feeling better the faster you go while also using almost all the travel is a good sign.

Dingo

I agree, the rebound is better than the fit4. I'm gonna ride somewhere other than Allaire before I make any more changes.

Top Bottom