Fit4 Compared to Grip2

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Have ridden Fit4 for the last number of years and was wondering if anyone has moved to Grip2. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
TLDR: Nothing to add here yet....

I have the Grip2 on my new bike.
there are so many adjustment options that it makes my head spin. @UtahJoe fiddled with something at Stephens last week, or maybe it was just the pressure. I don’t know. I need to do some internetting and fiddle with it on my own.

Dingo

I just replaced a fit 4 with a grip2 in my '17 34. Only 1 ride at Allaire so far. I left both compression settings wide open, and both rebounds about mid.

Low speed bumps are slightly less harsh. I would need more time, and rides on techy rock before I could give better feedback after playing with the adjustments.

Last year I installed a Luftkappe air piston. That made a huge improvement, that was immediately apparent.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I just replaced a fit 4 with a grip2 in my '17 34. Only 1 ride at Allaire so far. I left both compression settings wide open, and both rebounds about mid.

Low speed bumps are slightly less harsh. I would need more time, and rides on techy rock before I could give better feedback after playing with the adjustments.

Last year I installed a Luftkappe air piston. That made a huge improvement, that was immediately apparent.
Did you have Fox do it or did you order it and do it yourself. Do you happen to know the model number? I found it on their parts site but confused between the 2021 and 2020 one since the 2021 one only shows 150 where 2020 has range 130-160.

Dingo

I bought it used on ebay. 820-18-334-KIT It fit mine set at 140. It had the same length compressed/extended as the fit4. The 2020 is a grip1, the 2 was new for 2021.

@smw has installed a g2 also.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Did you have Fox do it or did you order it and do it yourself. Do you happen to know the model number? I found it on their parts site but confused between the 2021 and 2020 one since the 2021 one only shows 150 where 2020 has range 130-160.
Take a look at the internal parts of the damper. On my Grip(1) damper the difference between the 100-120 and the 130-140 was the mid-valve valve stack. Not that you want to re-valve a new damper. I was going to go with a 130 air shaft on my 120 and was concerned until I saw that. Ended up revalving anyway and going in a different direction than change in air shafts.

TLDR: Nothing to add here yet....

I have the Grip2 on my new bike.
there are so many adjustment options that it makes my head spin. @UtahJoe fiddled with something at Stephens last week, or maybe it was just the pressure. I don’t know. I need to do some internetting and fiddle with it on my own.
Pretty sure anyone who knows what they're doing will say leave the High fully open, adjust the Low first. Pretty sure Utah just adjusted your pressure since you were blowing through your travel. 100% get your fork dialed in, makes such a different.

sundaydoug

Pretty sure anyone who knows what they're doing will say leave the High fully open, adjust the Low first. Pretty sure Utah just adjusted your pressure since you were blowing through your travel. 100% get your fork dialed in, makes such a different.

Taking the time to set suspension up correctly makes a big difference. For a fork with independent LSC and HSC adjustments I'd do the following:

- Set correct sag with LSC fully open (for a fork I use 15ish% sag as a starting point)
- Once sag is set, return all adjustments to middle (LSC, HSC, and rebound)
- Find a trail that you know really, really well
- Adjust only one parameter at a time, starting with LSC
- Do a run with LSC set to each extreme (i.e one run with LSC set fully open, next run with LSC set fully closed)
- Do consecutive runs making small adjustments each time until you find one you like
- Do the same bracketing with HSC
- Do the same bracketing with rebound

It also helps to write your settings down after each run and make notes about how it feels.

Definitely takes a while, but it's worth the time.

serviceguy

I bought it used on ebay. 820-18-334-KIT It fit mine set at 140. It had the same length compressed/extended as the fit4. The 2020 is a grip1, the 2 was new for 2021.

@smw has installed a g2 also.
That is not entirely accurate. My 36 is a 2019 Grip 2. I believe Grip was the spec prior to FIT4, never seen Grip1. The earlier Grip2 did not have VVC though, which I had added when the fork was serviced at Fox.
0981A9BD-7A9C-4590-9F6E-759D9FF0B95A.png

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
That is not entirely accurate. My 36 is a 2019 Grip 2. I believe Grip was the spec prior to FIT4, never seen Grip1. The earlier Grip2 did not have VVC though, which I had added when the fork was serviced at Fox.
View attachment 147321
You are correct, it was Grip and then Grip 2. However Fit4 is an entirely different cartridge and aimed more at the XC crowd with the lockout option and less adjustability.
This guy is just about annoying as Seth Bike Hacks but always has good info.

Last edited:

serviceguy

You are correct, it was Grip and then Grip 2. However Fit4 is an entirely different cartridge and aimed more at the XC crowd with the lockout option and less adjustability.

Unfortunately I can’t provide any real feedback on the difference between the two, never had FIT4 fork. And I probably wouldn’t be able to tell the difference anyway. Grip2 works well for me though.

Dingo

Annoying for sure. He has another vid with G2 set up. He starts with the compressions open, gets the rebounds and air pressure set first.
With the fit4, I always had the low speed comp wide open, never used lockout, and some times, usually @allaire would set the comp mid way.
Rebound was pretty much one or two clicks either way. It always felt way too harsh esp on small bump. The Luftkappe air piston really smoothed things out. Mid stroke
support was increased, noticed less pedal strikes. Fox did change the air piston on the newer forks. So you need to consider the whole package.

Top Bottom