First time

rlb

Are the trails marked well enough to get around? I've got a half way decent sense of direction. I might head over some time this weekend, not sure what my schedule will be like yet so I'm planning to go solo as of now.

al415

Banned
Are the trails marked well enough to get around? I've got a half way decent sense of direction. I might head over some time this weekend, not sure what my schedule will be like yet so I'm planning to go solo as of now.

At Hartshorne? The markings are decent, not great. However, it's difficult to get really lost because there are plenty of "TRAILHEAD" signs. So even if you don't end up completing a loop on the trail you started, you should'nt have any trouble getting back to your car. There are usually trail maps at the buttermilk valley entrance and they are better than nothing.

wonderturtle

based on the heading of your post ("first time") I was going to suggest that you just keep thinking about baseball. but I wont.

hard to get real lost in Hartshorne. if you do get lost most of the trails end up hitting the fire road (there is only one) which leads back to the lower parking lot. also, on the weekend there should be plenty of other people there (bikers and others) to point you in the right direction if you get lost.

Last edited:

MEAN IRISH GUY

Horse-faced space dog
not really a fan of the huber side, but hartshorne is pretty hard to get lost in. even if you do get "lost", youll have fun while doing it. :D

rlb

Cool, should be fun as long as the weather holds out. Thanks for the info

THATmanMANNY

hiking at Hartshorne?

So I'm considering a day hike at Hartshorne on New Years Day. Never biked there or never even been there. Sorry, I am hiking cause my company does not ride bicycles :rolleyes:

Any advice at to which trails I should hike to get me to the best overlook?
But no worries I will be yielding to the riders :D

wonderturtle

no question - the best views are to be had from the upper parking lot.

theres an asphalt path that winds around the top. I thinks its called Battery Loop on the map. plus, cool old military installations to look at. GREAT views to be had from there. believe there is an overlook there.

also some views to be had from the Rocky Point Trail (also accessed from the upper parking lot). but the views from Battery Loop are the best.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions