First time Deer Park, two questions

JerseyPete

I went to Deer Park today after work to check it out. First question is parking. I took Deer Park Rd to the first parking area (by some trail heads and an out house). Is there better parking elsewhere? I know just south of rt 80 there is a school, but the parking there looked packed as something was going on.
Second question is about a bear. I encountered a good size bear while riding tonight. No ear tags, but not at all shy or timid. I encountered it about 10 feet away from a blind turn off the main trail. As much noise as I made and waved my arms it was not moving. Even lowered its head into confrontation mode. I put some distance between us and hammered out. I assume possible sow with cubs? Anyone know this bear and possible story? I would guess 450 lbs, big basketball size head. All other encounters and sightings I've had, they all run away. Not this one.

Last edited:

SpartaBard

I went to Deer Park today after work to check it out. First question is parking. I took Deer Park Rd to the first parking area (by some trail heads and an out house). Is there better parking elsewhere? I know just south of rt 80 there is a school, but the parking there looked packed as something was going on.
Second question is about a bear. I encountered a good size bear while riding tonight. No ear tags, but not at all shy or timid. I encountered it about 10 feet away from a blind turn off the main trail. As much noise as I made and waved my arms it was not moving. Even lowered its head into confrontation mode. I put some distance between us and hammered out. I assume possible sow with cubs? Anyone know this bear and possible story? I would guess 450 lbs, big basketball size head. All other encounters and sightings I've had, they all run away. Not this one.

MattyB likes to park by the school and ride in from there. Every time I go, I park in the lot you described. Sounds like a male bear by the size you describe, especially the part where he basically ignores you instead of running away. We used to have a big one in Mahlon that will just go about his business ignoring you, unless you get to close.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I will ride DP from any lot. Basically you got 4 choices school, 1st lot, 7-11 and waterloo rd. School adds a little extra but is an out and back deal. As far as the bear I agree must have been a male who didn't want to give up his space. They are opportunistic feeders and you came on to a feeding zone and he didn't want to share. I been charged over theses type of habits but it's always a bluff. There is very little to be afraid of when it comes to local bears unless your carry the food they want or your a major threat to their young...

pedals

Was it by the lake on the red trail ? Twice , I saw a big one there . Never saw any cubs.

JerseyPete

I will ride DP from any lot. Basically you got 4 choices school, 1st lot, 7-11 and waterloo rd. School adds a little extra but is an out and back deal. As far as the bear I agree must have been a male who didn't want to give up his space. They are opportunistic feeders and you came on to a feeding zone and he didn't want to share. I been charged over theses type of habits but it's always a bluff. There is very little to be afraid of when it comes to local bears unless your carry the food they want or your a major threat to their young...

I will try the school lot. Are they okay with mtn bikes parking there?

Was it by the lake on the red trail ? Twice , I saw a big one there . Never saw any cubs.

North end of Deer Park pond where the trail branches off to the right.
deerpark.JPG

bajaboy

Took my buddy here yesterday for his first mtn bike ride. Parked in the lower lot and started making our way up the gravel road to the upper lot and a guy we ran into said he was just charged by a mother with a just born cub, said it was tiny.

also, is there a code of silence in this place? I always try to say hello to other riders passing buy etc everyone doesn't acknowledge / ignores it.

pedals

also, is there a code of silence in this place? I always try to say hello to other riders passing buy etc everyone doesn't acknowledge / ignores it.

Yes-- There is a code of silence there-- you aren't allowed to acknowledge anyone !!! DO NOT--- I repeat... DO NOT look at another rider !!!

I'm surprised,,,, I will say hello.I dont care if u have purple hair, fangs
& training wheels or whatever....

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions

Trail Conditions not available
Top Bottom