First time at Ringwood

Firulay1

I will like to ride Ringwood for first time, I'm intermidate rider and getting back on shape. I heard that parking lot C will be a good one to start. Any suggestion for a loop ,I will like to try Skyland trail. I heard that is very easy to get lost there.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
I will like to ride Ringwood for first time, I'm intermidate rider and getting back on shape. I heard that parking lot C will be a good one to start. Any suggestion for a loop ,I will like to try Skyland trail. I heard that is very easy to get lost there.
Go with someone. Easy to get hurt or have a mechanical first time out. Riding skylands u can get lost and end up 3 hours away.

Victor I

aka Ridgehog
Feel free to join the OOS group on Strava. We have weekly rides at various locations. I plan on leading a group ride there soon and will post it as an intermediate level.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Go with someone. Easy to get hurt or have a mechanical first time out. Riding skylands u can get lost and end up 3 hours away.

I'm gonna disagree with this. Sure, it would be best if you get a tour from someone, but there is no reason not to go out there on your own. With Maprika and a printed out map just in case your phone dies, you really can't get that lost. If you park at lot C and ride Skylands, you'll never be more than 2.5-3 miles from the car, and you can take a fireroad or the main park roads back. For your first time, I would park at Shepard's Lake, and do Race, Skylands, Red, Warm Puppy, and then see how you feel. You can then take the nice park roads back to the lake. If you feel good, then I would just turn around and do the whole thing in reverse. Doing an out and back on white from there is also a nice ride. Note that after Memorial Day, you have to pay to park at the lake, and also I think lot C. Most people park at the Ryerson School.

Victor I

aka Ridgehog
I'm gonna disagree with this. Sure, it would be best if you get a tour from someone, but there is no reason not to go out there on your own. With Maprika and a printed out map just in case your phone dies, you really can't get that lost. If you park at lot C and ride Skylands, you'll never be more than 2.5-3 miles from the car, and you can take a fireroad or the main park roads back. For your first time, I would park at Shepard's Lake, and do Race, Skylands, Red, Warm Puppy, and then see how you feel. You can then take the nice park roads back to the lake. If you feel good, then I would just turn around and do the whole thing in reverse. Doing an out and back on white from there is also a nice ride. Note that after Memorial Day, you have to pay to park at the lake, and also I think lot C. Most people park at the Ryerson School.
This is true. I learned many places using old fashioned paper trail maps or riding apps such as Maprika. I paid attention more to where I was going for obvious reasons.

Reactions: rlb

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Agree with this except Trailforks app.

Mtbdog

Without a Garmin I might still be up at Ringwood riding around in circles, so try to have a map at least. Good luck. Sidenote: Morris county has maps of all their parks at the cultural center next to Lewis Morris. There are maps on the ride areas threads that may help.

Firulay1

Thanks, I used Maprika when I rode High Mountain for first time and the single trails are not mark there,
Thanks, I used Maprika when I rode High Mountain for first time and the trails are not mark there. I will follow the loop that you suggest

Victor I

aka Ridgehog
Thanks, I used Maprika when I rode High Mountain for first time and the single trails are not mark there,

Thanks, I used Maprika when I rode High Mountain for first time and the trails are not mark there. I will follow the loop that you suggest
I would recommend a guide for High Mountain as single track is not marked

BPaze

I learned Ringwood last year by just using TrailsForks and going out there every week and exploring. I often did it solo, but not a bad idea to ride with another, like Vic said we will probably have a few rides up there soon organized by OOS, Vic can lead the intermediate, I may lead the fat ass ride.

Firulay1

How many miles aprox you think are if I do the loop that you suggest at Ringwood starting at Sheppard pond

serviceguy

I learned Ringwood last year by just using TrailsForks and going out there every week and exploring. I often did it solo, but not a bad idea to ride with another, like Vic said we will probably have a few rides up there soon organized by OOS, Vic can lead the intermediate, I may lead the fat ass ride.

This. There's plenty of trails on Trailforks for Ringwood. And I sweep after the OOS sweepers. Unfortunately that forces me to be slow, even though I would be very fast by nature! it's a curse.

bucknejo

There are a lot of maps on Maprika for Ringwood. Some of them are old and do more harm than good. I have the Ringwood State Park Trail Map now - which I think was made by someone on this site - and it's awesome. For HMP I have High Mountain MTB Trails - v1.0.4 - again, amazing map, has all the single track, can't get lost.

Jmann

Never gonna let you down.
There’s a lot of intersecting singletrack at high mountain. Fortunately ringwood doesn’t have nearly as many decisions to make. You may cross some fireroads but generally follow the singletrack. And there’s only a few different color marked trails to choose from.

serviceguy

Without a Garmin I might still be up at Ringwood riding around in circles, so try to have a map at least. Good luck. Sidenote: Morris county has maps of all their parks at the cultural center next to Lewis Morris. There are maps on the ride areas threads that may help.

Ironically, my super duper Garmin made me go round and round today. It's obviously me but I like to think it's the GPS...

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions