First Annual MTBNJ.com Picnic at Lewis Morris - Oct. 20 2007

Event: 1st Annual MTBNJ.com Picnic
Date: Saturday, October 20, 2007
Time: 10 am to ??? (or dusk, whichever comes first)

All are invited to attend the 1st Annual MTBNJ.com Picnic. The inaugural event will be held at Lewis Morris County Park in Morristown, NJ. This is a family-friendly event intended to bring together riders, their partners, and children for a fun day of riding trails, sharing great food, and getting to know each other better.

The planning for this event is well under way. We have reserved the sheltered picnic pavilion in the Sugarloaf Area at LM. We have also obtained an open-container permit, so alcohol is allowed at this event.

Now that the groundwork has been laid, we need your help! This picnic will be done pot-luck style. We would like to keep track of which foods everyone intends to bring, so we end up with a variety of goodies instead of turning the day into a Potato Salad contest.

We are asking that everyone who plans to attend bring a food item sufficient to serve to the crowd (don’t worry, we will provide a headcount by mid-October so you know how much to make) as well as one bottle of soda and a paper good (plates, cups, box of utensils, or napkins). Please let me know what you plan to bring to the picnic and how many people you plan to have with you by October 5, 2007. I will post up a running list of food items and paper goods we need/do not need to help guide your decision.

As with any event that requires permits, there is a fee associated with the reservation and open-container permit we obtained. We are not requiring people to pay to attend this picnic; however, if you care to make a donation to help defray the costs of this event, we will be collecting on the day of the picnic. We sincerely want this to be a fun day for everyone involved and want cost to be no object to your attendance, so if you are not able to make a donation we certainly understand and will not turn you away.

Some legal business to get out of the way: As stated, alcoholic beverages will be permitted at this picnic. We have secured an open-container permit from the park. This allows our group to have any alcohol we choose – we are not restricted to quantity or type; however, in the interest of protecting the parties who have accepted responsibility for the group, we do expect that all laws surrounding consumption of alcohol will be respected. Consumption of alcohol by minors will not be tolerated, and anyone who is judged to be too impaired to drive will be asked to take a taxi or accept a ride from someone willing to take them home.

With that said, we encourage you to bring the adult beverage of your choice to the picnic. The popular and long-running Here's Your Favorite Beer thread is abundant with great selections and I hope some of you will find it in your heart to share your tastes with the crowd. If you prefer sangria or wine, bring a pitcher to share with the group. And if anyone makes mean and hot Bloody Marys ala the Fox and Hound of Lebanon (extra horseradish, please), you are encouraged to bring them along as well.

We hope to start the day with a ride around the park. Riders of all abilities can join in. We hope that any beginners or people who want to try riding for the first time will not be shy and join in. Children of a suitable age to handle riding at Lewis Morris will also be welcome, if accompanied by a guardian while riding. We may break the group up into units based on ability if it is necessary.

After the riding, we will get started on the important agenda items: eating and drinking and getting to know others in the MTBNJ community a bit better.

I believe I speak on behalf of my fellow event organizers when I express how excited we are about this Picnic. We look forward to seeing you, your families, and friends on October 20th.

**Please check this thread often for updates**

anrothar

entirely thrilled
i'll bring about 5 gallons of bottled homebrew, fruit salad, and my (not quite) world famous, patented mexican spring rolls.

mergs

Spokompton's Finest
JORBA.ORG
Sweet.

I'll bring some homebrew and fresh meat!

edit: Aw, damnit.... I'm out. I have my time/share condo in VT that weekend. It will be the last chance for me to use it as a "biking base camp" before the season changes to snow sports.

All JORBA chapters and members are hereby instructed to proceed directly to the "fest" and "represent" and have a good time (if they can of course)! Please, someone, have a beer for me. :)

Last edited:

ArmyOfNone

Ill bring beer, burgers, dogs, and my gf loves to bake so there should be a good amount of baked goods

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
oh, i wanna play. i'm going to a picnic on the 20th and i'm going to bring...

the permit! :D

SpartaBard

Sounds like MTBNJ has a new social coordinator! :D

I am in, but I have heard that anrothar's beer gives people the runs :eek:

Kirt

JORBA: Chimney Rock, Team MTBNJ.COM
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'll put it on the calendar & will decide what to bring as it gets closer. Thanks for the leg work JGR.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Oh man my wife used to work with someone who worked part time at Kroegs (sp?) which is up by you guys, right? I don't know about Sean's beer but this thing had me really regretting it the next day.

Shaggz

A strong 7
don't listen to brad - he is trying to dissuade you from drinking sean's beer so there will be more for him.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I see. Short SOB.

Well we're in, all 3 of us for now, though mom/daughter will likely need to bow out for a nap at some point. Nice thing is that the in-laws house is like 10 minutes away. Convenient!

Like Kirt I'll commit to something at a later date.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Did the Shaggz family not commit somewhere I missed?

We'd like to have you all. Well especially me, because my daughter behaves really well when older children are around.

walter

Fourth Party
Did the Shaggz family not commit somewhere I missed?

We'd like to have you all. Well especially me, because my daughter behaves really well when older children are around.

This could work out for both of us, my daughter seems to think shes a baby sitter at 4

anrothar

entirely thrilled
don't listen to brad - he is trying to dissuade you from drinking sean's beer so there will be more for him.

which is odd, because i seem to remember a certain someone feeling tipsy after 2, maybe three beers at a certain tm meeting......

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
I'll try to make this one with Mr pixy. I can bring portable bike stands that I use at clinics. I'll get back later on food also. The meal planning segment of my brain does not project that far into the future. :rolleyes:

When time comes to organize rides, I can probably lead or help lead one for women, if there is enough interest.

Top Bottom